Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in picnic for pulled pork.

ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
edited May 2015 in Pork
I picked up this baby today. I've already removed the skin, trimmed back the fat cap, and rubbed it down with dizzy dust. Its currently sitting in the fridge getting happy. The plan is to put it on tomorrow morning and finish in time for dinner. I've never done a picnic before, is there anything I should be aware of that differs from the standard Boston butt cook?  

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    It cooks pretty much the same. I've cooked them with the skin on as well, just not a much bark on the finished product.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    It doesn't have as much marbling as a butt. With that said, the usually will pull between 190-195 degrees. A little lower than your typical butt. Other than that the cooking process is identical. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Excellent! Is the bone pulling free from the meat a good indicator of doneness for this cut as well?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Excellent! Is the bone pulling free from the meat a good indicator of doneness for this cut as well?
    Yes sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, you got it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What, no Boston Baked Beans with that poke? =) Quick, soak the beans overnight! LOL

^^^ pic from Fishlessman

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut