Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork, more pork, and some more pork for good measure

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
@Hunter1881 posted a thread on a stuffed pork loin he was doing a few days ago and while we were discussing other possible stuffing ideas it got me thinking.... which lead to this. I made a fresh basil pesto, and roll cut a good sized pork tenderloin. I spread the pesto on the inside and then added the leftover motzerella and Italian sausage from my pizza cook last night, along with some extra parmisean for good measure. I rolled the loin back up, and then wrapped it with bacon. I have a feeling some good eats are on the way. Thanks for the inspiration Hunter! 

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    That has no choice but to be good!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Pork, pork and pork. 3 of my very favorites. Standing by for the finale brother chilly.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    SGH said:
    Pork, pork and pork. 3 of my very favorites. 
    I always knew you were a man of impeccable taste. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That's going to be great!
  • ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This meal was amazing. I truly think this was the best meal to come off of my egg in the 3 years I've owned it. All of the flavors paired with each other perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't get too many good pictures, but I'll be making this again for sure so hopefully I can get some then. I would highly recommend this cook for any of you that like the flavors of Italy. The Chilly household has eaten well tonight. 

• SGH
    Options
    Allow me brother chilly:

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Options
    Yeah, that looks unbelievable, especially the fresh pesto.
  • SGH
    Options
    I always knew you were a man of impeccable taste. 
    I have always thought so too  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Options
    Pork is one of my favorites.  Pork, pork and pork are three of my favorites.
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Man that looks amazing. Glad I can be good for something.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I like it. :star::star::star: 

I didn't know you could get so much in a tenderloin. @ChillyWillis, did you hammer it out or just stuff it after roll cutting? This would be perfect for my wife and I since it's just the two of us. I always use a loin when I'm going to have stuffed pork, but it's too much food for two. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Hunter1881 I remember you weren't sure how to do a pesto. Here is the recipe I used. 
    1 cup fresh basil (pack it as full as you can)
    2 cloves garlic
    1/8ish cup pine nuts
    1/3 cup Parmesean cheese
    salt and pepper to taste (be easy on the salt if you're doing this loin recipe... The sausage and bacon bring plenty to the mix)
    1/3 cup Olive oil

mix everything except for the olive oil into a food processor pulse a bit and then slowly add the olive oil as you continue to pulse. 

If you can, make it early. The longer it sits the more the flavors meld. 

Thanks again for the inspiration!  This really was one of the best tasting things to ever come off my egg. 
  • ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @stemc33 I didn't hammer it, I just went with a roll cut (but my knife skills were working for me tonight). The trick to stuffing it so full is making sure the end of the roll cut is as thin as you can get. Then you put all of the sausage towards what will end up being the middle of the loin and roll back up. I like to leave about a 1/3 of the loin without the sausage so it's easier to get the loin to wrap around and seal in all that goodness. 
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Thanks. I will definitely try this one out. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @ChillyWillis   -  You are the man!  That looks absolutely amazing!  Bookmarked.
    Phoenix 
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    I have a question. At what temp did you pull yours? I wasn't sure what temp because I wasn't sure how to tell if I was in the pork or the stuffing. Or if there would be a temp difference. 
  • ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Hunter1881 I cooked raised indirect at 425, then pulled at 125 IT, removed the AR and stone on my spider, put on my spider grill then rolled the loin on the spider back and forth constantly with the dome open for about 2 or 3 minutes to get a good consistancy to the bacon. I pulled when the thickest part of the loin hit 140 on the Thremapen. 

If if you don't have the AR, cooking indirect with the platesetter and then pulling it and rolling direct should work close to the same way. 

I had pan seared the sausage last night in a CI skillet for pizza so I wasn't worried about it. Also I'd recommend doing the same if you make this. Browning sausage is always a good thing for flavors sake. Plus that way you don't need to worry about ground undercooked pork in the stuffing and can just check for the general IT of the pork loin. 
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    I do have an AR. Thanks again Chilly
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That is truly a great looking meal..Great cook.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Wow!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va