Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- pet fencing systems..... Also cool Grizzlies mural

Options
Walt2015
Walt2015 Posts: 583
moving to a new home and there's no fence. Great views and limited budget are a couple reasons for no traditional fence for at least a few years. I have a 80# lab/bull mastiff mix that likes to run though. Looking at the petsafe yardmax in ground fencing system. 

Just wanted to to see if anyone has something similar. Any recommendations on this or other systems/installation would be great

http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Yardmax-Rechargeable-In-Ground-Fencing/dp/B00DDXS9QI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Look at Havaheart. They have one that you can customize the shape. They are hard to buy as the company will call and interview about your boundaries to make sure it's safe for your pet. 

I bought one of their radial units because of the boundary limitations and it works great with our female lab. 

You ou still coming to chattavegas?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good luck keeping that guy contained. Probably could have trained him to his yard if he had been taught boundaries from day one - always difficult when you move with a mature dog. 
    It is my understanding that if he responds to a bark collar, you will have some luck with the flag fence. Good luck.
    Nice mural - too bad it was not on a building in Vancouver......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Walt2015
    Options
    @theyolksonyou closing second week of June. Never been out of Memphis so should be a nice change. I'll look into that one. He's pretty lazy about 22 hours a day but will lay outside all day when weather is nice. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Nice looking pooch.  Love the mural, where is it at?  That was hell of a win last night.  Miss being down there, especially this time of year.  The Grindhouse is going to be hopping Saturday night.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get thicker wire! I would recommend diy dog fence. they ship you a system with 14-16 gauge wire. It's less prone to breaks and it's way more reliable. It's also has lightning suppression.  I paid 289 for 500ft 14g and 100 feet twisted wire.
    Aurora,OH
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I know you're budget is limited but with how people and kids are these days coupled with the fact you say the dog likes to run I wouldn't be taking any chances with anything other than a fence.  If the dog sees something on the other side and gets a head of steam the shock is just going to slow it down for a second, maybe.  I see it a lot with my neighbor's dog, she just runs right through the beeps and the shock going after squirrels and rabbits and doesn't even break stride.  I know the budget is limited, I was in the same boat last year when we moved with our 70 lb lap/pit mix and I got laid off the next week after the move but we still had the fence installed to be safe.  Just don't want to see something happen to your dog or you get in a lawsuit that costs you more than the fence would have because someone did something stupid to possibly provoke your dog (not trying to imply your dog is aggressive or anything, just that people are stupid and dogs react accordingly).  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have a PetSafe system since I moved to this house (in 2004).  I have had three dogs on this system (German Shepard, Chocolate Lab, and Lab mix (current dog)).  The only trouble I had is with the Chocolate Lab.  He was very stubborn and ran through the fence with the standard collar.  I upgraded him to a stubborn dog collar that has multi-level correction levels as well as a line drain correction (when they run up and down the line where it only vibrates and beeps, but does not correct, drains the battery, and they bolt).  After a certain amount of the dog going up and down the line, it will correct them to get them from doing it.  

The wire and system was already down when I bought the place, however I upgraded the wire and base unit.  Make sure you get heavy, solid copper wire to reduce breakages.  

I have a lot of territory with wire so my dog has a lot of freedom.  I still do not leave her out when we're gone though.  I put her in a nice lot with dog house or on the covered deck on the back of the house.  

Of the 2.92 acres we have, the attached picture shows the boundary the dog has.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    ive tried wireless fences and they did not work, maybe a 10 foot by 10 foot kennel? or if the dog isnt a jumper fence in the deck for the two hours he wants to lay outside
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Walt2015
    Options
    @saluki2007 off highland near u of m. I'm looking at tickets for Saturday and Monday. Getting higher by the year but always a good time. 

@tarheelmatt looks like a great setup. We won't have near that amount of land so I'm thinking of enclosing the back and a small portion of front near the porch. He will only be out when we are home too. Will definitely upgrade the wire, thanks for that!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    http://store.petsafe.net/wireless-containment-system

this works really well - we've had labs and a chow on it for years.  variable shock, variable radius, etc.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    My brother has that system and it does a great job @Legume .  However, it is very limited as far as the amount of land they have to roam.  He has a lab mix and Husky.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm looking at invisible fences as well.  I'd like to go wireless.  Invisible Fence has a wireless GPS unit that you can determine boundaries.  The other wireless systems I've looked at have just a circle barrier.  http://www.invisiblefence.com/solutions/fencing-solutions/gps-containment

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Walt2015
    Options
    @Legume that one definitely caught my eye since there aren't wires to bury, and I'm not very handy. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    @Legume that one definitely caught my eye since there aren't wires to bury, and I'm not very handy. 
    Bury? I'm lazy. I laid the wire on top of the ground and let mother nature help. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I know they have a newer one that's more $ and has a larger radius.  You can also setup two or more transmitters with areas that overlap and the dogs can continue from one into the other, you just need a way to power them and protect the transmitter from the weather.  Not the ideal solution for acreage if you want the dogs to have the run of it, it worked for us, our lot turns to overgrown brush/greenbelt in the back and I didn't want them back there.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Ive had the yard max system for a little over a year.   It's the 3rd underground system I've had over the years.   I love it and can't say enough good things about it.   The wireless systems I've tried have left a lot to be desired but I haven't tried one in the last year so maybe the technology has developed some. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Walt2015
    Options
    @shucker did you bury wires, staple down or just set on top of grass? If you buries did a shovel do the job or did you trench it? Last question-- what gauge wire did you go with?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have this one for my dog. http://store.petsafe.net/stubborn-dog-in-ground-fence

He has crossed it before, but he hasn't in about three years. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • shucker
    Options
    I buried mine about 4" down.   I have a power edger so i used that to dig a small trench. I only have 2 acres but that would've taken me forever with a shovel.   I went with the standard wire that came with it.  My local lowes stocks extra spools.  The yard max system also works with the pawz away barriers which are very nice for keeping the dogs away from isolated items like flower beds or the trash cans.  I have about 6 of the paws away rocks that I use. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have one and I am batting 500. Had one dog when I got it and she never gets out. 2nd dog runs right through it. We have retrained her several times and she still runs through.  

So naturally I wouldnt recommend because we will end up spending $ on a fence anyway.  If you want to try it, dont spend too much time or $ for starters. Do it yourself and start with a small area. I paid like $1100 for the stupid thing around my entire property and it is 1/2 useless. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SmokeyPitt, can you adjust the amount of jolt on the two collars? Maybe the one that doesn't behave just needs a stronger zap. 

I have the PetSafe wireless. I also have a dog who is such a wuss that he yelps when you say good morning!! When I put him on the leash and walked him to the electronic barrier to begin his training, he yelped so loud and so long (even after pulling him away from it), I was surprised the SPCA didn't show up! I had it on the lowest setting too. It was nearly a week before he would even go outside again without me dragging (or carrying!) him. Seriously.

I wondered what all the fuss was about, so I took the collar, held it up to my own neck and walked to the line. Holy CRAP!!!  I won't make THAT mistake again!! I yelped so loud and so long (even after dropping the collar), I was surprised the cops didn't show up!

I guess pain is the point, but I just couldn't do that to my pooch. I didn't return it though, thinking I would try again. I called PetSafe and they said they had a newer collar with a lower power setting. They sent one, free of charge, but I really haven't messed with it after that. I have to put him on a rope whenever I let him out.

Time to try again, after I replace the now dead proprietary battery for the collar. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SmokeyPitt, can you adjust the amount of jolt on the two collars? Maybe the one that doesn't behave just needs a stronger zap. 

I have the PetSafe wireless. I also have a dog who is such a wuss that he yelps when you say good morning!! When I put him on the leash and walked him to the electronic barrier to begin his training, he yelped so loud and so long (even after pulling him away from it), I was surprised the SPCA didn't show up! I had it on the lowest setting too. It was nearly a week before he would even go outside again without me dragging (or carrying!) him. Seriously.

I wondered what all the fuss was about, so I took the collar, held it up to my own neck and walked to the line. Holy CRAP!!!  I won't make THAT mistake again!! I yelped so loud and so long (even after dropping the collar), I was surprised the cops didn't show up!

I guess pain is the point, but I just couldn't do that to my pooch. I didn't return it though, thinking I would try again. I called PetSafe and they said they had a newer collar with a lower power setting. They sent one, free of charge, but I really haven't messed with it after that. I have to put him on a rope whenever I let him out.

Time to try again, after I replace the now dead proprietary battery for the collar. 
    Hi Michael,

Yeah the collars we have (Dogwatch) have different settings and we moved her up to the max setting and she still ran through.   I have shocked myself on level 4 out of 7 and it definitely got my attention.  I should probably give it another try.  The batteries are also a pain - hers is probably dead by now.  We have just been taking her out on a leash and let the good dog run around.    

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    the wireless never worked for me, i think the lake screws it up, cell phones dont work well there either. the range seemed to fluctuate as well, sometimes the dog would even get zapped in the house. i now use the zap collar with the remote hanging on my neck, usually just use the beeper and not the zap function. dogs know when they have those collars on, if you forget to put it on,they are running =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shucker
    Options
    yardmax system has about 6 levels.  ive tested all of them on myself (not my neck but on the palm of my hand).  level 1 you can barely feel, the highest level you can barely feel your body after it zaps you.  The warning tone followed by the zap is very helpful.  if my dogs hear a tone even similar to the warning sound, even if its from another device, they immediately go toward the center of the yard.  One of my dogs is very stubborn and very tough.  Level 4, one zap was all he wanted.  now the tone only does the trick.  Also, the yardmax collars are rechargeable.  Ive had mine a year or so and the collars still last around 75-90 days on a charge.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We have a 5'-6' chain link fence clear around the property along with Invisible Fence on the same perimeter. Many try to imitate but, from experience I can tell you this is the best quality. Ours covers a little over 1.15-1.25 acre. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I would never use these electronic fence devices but thats me. First im not into making animals suffer. Second it doesn't prevent anything or anyone from coming into your property and attacking your dogs or being attacked by your dog. Having a powerful protective breed such as Dobermans I have 6 foot board on board fencing so that the neighborhoods devil spawn cant stick thier little digits through it and get bit and file suit.  Real barriers for me, thanks. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    If I was you I'd build a dog run and then when you can fence in the rest of the yard.

Aside from the dollars my dog cost, 2 are pitbulls and would have an extremely high chance of death at a shelter.