Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my question about eggs on hamburgers raises another question!

Options
2»

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    RRP said:
    All this chatter about grits surprises me. Every time I was out for breakfast when down South I used to always order grits. I don't ever remember getting any bad ones! 
    Correct. If people have bad grits they are simply not cooking them right 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    RRP said:
    All this chatter about grits surprises me. Every time I was out for breakfast when down South I used to always order grits. I don't ever remember getting any bad ones! 
    Correct. If people have bad grits they are simply not cooking them right 
    Or they started with crap grits.  Grits are one of the foods that you need to start with a quality product.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @RRP ... but then, you are happy with Royal Oak ... just saying.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Grits cooked right are the best. I like em cold, after they set up, then fry them in bacon renderings. Southern goodness. Grits cooked in water are hard to perfect. Grits cooked in heavy cream are hard to mess up. 

To this day I eat peanut butter and mayo samiches. It's my dad's favorite. I had never even heard of PBJ until the first time I spent the night with a friend. Don't knock it till you try it. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Fried egg noodles with ketchup or chilli bean on them. This was an every Sat. night meal when I was growing up & I still make them 61 years later.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Best thing @NOLA Jazzfest
    I concur. At least in the top three.  
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Grits cooked right are the best. I like em cold, after they set up, then fry them in bacon renderings. Southern goodness. Grits cooked in water are hard to perfect. Grits cooked in heavy cream are hard to mess up. 

To this day I eat peanut butter and mayo samiches. It's my dad's favorite. I had never even heard of PBJ until the first time I spent the night with a friend. Don't knock it till you try it. 
    Peanut butter, banana, mayo sandwiches. MMMM
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I almost always put jelly on my omelettes.

For oatmeal, I puree a banana and mix it in along with chopped walnuts.  No sugar needed if the nana is ripe.
    I heard your Nana was ripe
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    This will sound crazy, put while camping, we had some left over Krispy Kreme doughnuts. They were a little stall.  I lit the weber baby q, and tossed the doughnut on for a couple of minutes and it was better than fresh.  Had char marks where the glaze Carmelized. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I like to put Fritos on tuna fish sandwiches 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of grape jelly on an egg sandwich with toast for breakfast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Moar people get high on this forum than I originally thought....
    Options
    RRP said:
    Being from the West Coast, I never heard of grits until I went to basic training in GA. Went thru the chow line and told the guy that I wanted the cream of wheat and pointed to the grits tub. After I was rudely told they were grits, I sat down and covered/smothered them with sugar. You'd think I committed a felony.     
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Grape jelly and Tabasco sauce was the only way I could choke down the corned beef hash that came in the MRE's. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @stemc33 Fort Stewart or Fort Benning? My cousin was stationed at Fort Stewart for years. Being from Savannah he hit the lottery. Thanks for your service!
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    two things come to mind, tomato soup cake with cream cheese frosting, dont have the recipe but the aunts make it several times a year. the other is b&m canned bread cooked in a toaster oven served with beans, you want the one with raisins. its a new england thing that even newenglanders dont know about =) if you never went to a real bean cook were beans were cooked underground you probably never seen bread steamed in a can, b&m does a pretty good knock off of this. i keep several cans at camp as its easy and delicious for big cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    My family has been putting mayo on collards for as long as anyone can remember.

I put Nacho Cheese Doritos on PB&J whenever possible.

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Ron, in new england we live under a granite rock...grits, scrapple, plantains, collards?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    two things come to mind, tomato soup cake with cream cheese frosting, dont have the recipe but the aunts make it several times a year. the other is b&m canned bread cooked in a toaster oven served with beans, you want the one with raisins. its a new england thing that even newenglanders dont know about =) if you never went to a real bean cook were beans were cooked underground you probably never seen bread steamed in a can, b&m does a pretty good knock off of this. i keep several cans at camp as its easy and delicious for big cooks
    Always had brown bread out of a can with homemade beans and hot dogs growing up... Good stuff
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    Always had brown bread out of a can with homemade beans and hot dogs growing up... Good stuff
    I think I had forgotten about that bread since I was maybe 10.   Wow.  Grew up in California, no idea why we had it, but I loved that as a kid smothered with 1/4" of butter.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Ever since I was a young, my go to quick sandwich is Miracle Whip and smooth peanut butter. Added potato chips if I had them.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX