Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone own a Boykin Spaniel?

Options
My girlfriend is looking to get one. She grew up with dogs and is used to being around high energy dogs. She has a nice fenced in yard, dog would get plenty of exercise and would play with my 2 1/2 year old lab. Looking to get a Boykin that is 9-18 months old to avoid the puppy stage. Would like a started dog essentially. 
From what i read about them they seem to line up perfect with what is wanted but would like feedback from owners who have one.
Thanks!
Boom

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have Mini Sproodle, which is a purposed cross between an English Springer Spaniel and a Mini Poodle.  He is high energy.  Needs lots of attention, exercise, and discipline.  But he is also great with people, kids, and other dogs.  Not exactly what you are looking for, but they seem to have similar breed characteristics.  Here is a picture of Winston Havoc.  (And although he is special, he can not defy gravity.)
    W.jpg 1.7M
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    looks like a nice dog, similar in size to my french brittany spanial. ive owned 2 britts, first was an american, second was a french feild dog. one was crazy, the feild dog is off the charts crazy. when they say puts in a full work day they mean a full 8 hours of excercise atleast twice a day with an hour or two on days inbetween. my dog runs full speed a couple miles a day and does a 16 mile run twice a week chasing a wheeler at about 12 to 16 mph on average, that doesnt include vigorous play time with the neighbors 2 year old lab and anothers boxer. most of the bird hunting spanials are puppies for life, mines coming up on 4 and hasnt slowed down at all but i expected this from a feild dog. if they dont get the extreme excersize they get bored. you really need to talk to every breeder out there and find a pup that is low key for a fenced in dog. what im reading about boykins is very similar to britts or atleast my french version, epagnuel breton
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    my brother has a boykin that is 3 years old now.  He's a great dog, great disposition, and wonderful around people, kids, and other dogs.  I cant say anything negative about him except for the hair if he were an inside dog.  His energy level is about equal to my lab but very low compared to my drahthaar.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    shucker said:
    my brother has a boykin that is 3 years old now.  He's a great dog, great disposition, and wonderful around people, kids, and other dogs.  I cant say anything negative about him except for the hair if he were an inside dog.  His energy level is about equal to my lab but very low compared to my drahthaar.  
    @shucker Do they shed a lot if brushed 1-3 times per week?
    Boom
  • shucker
    Options
    I would say comparable to a lab.  You get constant mild shedding regardless of how often they are brushed and then about 3-4 times a year as the seasons change you get nuclear hair bomb for about a week.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    shucker said:
    I would say comparable to a lab.  You get constant mild shedding regardless of how often they are brushed and then about 3-4 times a year as the seasons change you get nuclear hair bomb for about a week.  
    @shucker thanks. Can you shave them like some people do a lab? Or not wroth it? her house has hardwood throughout so shedding wont be as hard to clean up as it would be on carpet. 
    Boom
  • shucker
    Options
    @shucker thanks. Can you shave them like some people do a lab? Or not wroth it? her house has hardwood throughout so shedding wont be as hard to clean up as it would be on carpet. 
    yes, my brother gets his shaved as soon as the weather starts to warm up.  by fall, his coat is back to normal. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    shucker said:
    yes, my brother gets his shaved as soon as the weather starts to warm up.  by fall, his coat is back to normal. 
    Awesome, thanks
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Anyone else own one with info or tips?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Look at a poodle as well if you are worried about shedding or allergies. Very close in temperament and very high energy. I love mine.

Plus, you can do this.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have a King Charles and my vet has a Boykin. I really like her dog a lot. Super sweet and really fun. Mine is a knucklehead. I hope they are smarter than my King Charles! He is sweet though and they look very similar. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have a rescue (mutt) that looks to be part spaniel.  This dog humps everything it sees so I will call it a Boinkin' Spaniel.  

Oh...and she is a girl.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options
    I've had 2. Great dogs. Easy to train and very friendly. Obedience was not a problem, force fetching wasn't hard but just different because smaller mouth, and they were pretty good markers also. I used mine for dove and duck hunting. They were a lot of fun!!!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Or just get a lab- they are pretty amazing and great family pets.   Well after 4-5 years anyway. Have had a lot of different dogs over the years, but I dont see my family getting anything else in the future. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Plus they are amazing retrievers and swim like fish.  Makes my parents golden look like she is standing still.  

Greensboro, NC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have had 3 Standard Poodles and they are great dogs. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    bigdogk9 said:
    I've had 2. Great dogs. Easy to train and very friendly. Obedience was not a problem, force fetching wasn't hard but just different because smaller mouth, and they were pretty good markers also. I used mine for dove and duck hunting. They were a lot of fun!!!
    awesome news
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

Wolfpack said:
    Or just get a lab- they are pretty amazing and great family pets.   Well after 4-5 years anyway. Have had a lot of different dogs over the years, but I dont see my family getting anything else in the future. 
    Have a lab now. 2 1/2 year old male black lab. Looking for a diff breed for this dog. 
    Boom
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Excellent dogs   I have owned them for 20 plus years (before anyone knew what they were)     High spirited but true pleasers    Have hunted them and used them as pets.     Check the mother and fathers blood line.  Also do not accept white on the chest bigger than a penny.     If the parents hips are certified even better.     Keep them chew toys handy, as they love to chew.     And remember, a tired Boykin is a good boykin.    I will post some pictures this evening (provided my package from Apple doesnt arrive.  If it does all bets are off :))
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    Excellent dogs   I have owned them for 20 plus years (before anyone knew what they were)     High spirited but true pleasers    Have hunted them and used them as pets.     Check the mother and fathers blood line.  Also do not accept white on the chest bigger than a penny.     If the parents hips are certified even better.     Keep them chew toys handy, as they love to chew.     And remember, a tired Boykin is a good boykin.    I will post some pictures this evening (provided my package from Apple doesnt arrive.  If it does all bets are off :))
    @bo31210 thanks1
    Boom