Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Near Catastrophe

Options
NervousDad
NervousDad Posts: 307
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
During the winter I stored my firewood on my very old deck. Today I was restacking it in its summer spot and I found about 10 charred pieces. So I must have had a smoldering fire in my wood stack. The only thing that could have caused this was my egg since it's only about 10 feet from my deck. 
Aurora,OH

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Whoa! Close call. Glad it didnt turn into anything else. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    ND All I can say is whew. Glad everythng is ok. Guess its time to brainstorm how to not have a repeat performance. Not sure of the yard layout. But methinks its time for a new layout.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NervousDad
    Options
    Thanks!

As I was stacking the wood last fall I said to myself this is a really dumb idea  :) I could just imagine what would have happened if the ember would have landed on the deck under the wood. 

I changing locations for sure and getting an estimate for a paver patio with egg table.
    Aurora,OH
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Whew...I'd never admit it was the Egg though. It might freak my wife out. I'd blame it on lightning. Lol
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent plan. New man--kitchen
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    So it sounds like an ember traveled 10 FEET from your Egg into the pile of wood?

Yikes.  Do you light with a MAPP torch or something?

I light with starter cubes..always watch it..have a cement mat in front of my SS table..always close my screen after it's started..

But 10 FEET is hard to protect against no matter how much precaution you take..

What do you think happened that an ember was able to get that far from your Egg?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Agree with @SmokyBear hard to protect things if you think it was an ember from an egg, 10' away. 
    Maybe the firewood wanted to end its time in the egg rather than in your fireplace, it was just trying to carbonize itself.  =)

Glad there was no harm done. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NervousDad
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    So it sounds like an ember traveled 10 FEET from your Egg into the pile of wood?

I light with starter cubes..always watch it..have a cement mat in front of my SS table..always close my screen after it's started..

What do you think happened that an ember was able to get that far from your Egg?
    I just started using a mapp torch at the end of fall.I have a ton of embers when I use it.  I went out and bought a new electric starter since this incident freaked me out.  surprisingly my wife is not too freaked out and she would use any excuse for me to get rid of my egg. :)

Aurora,OH
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

I just started using a mapp torch at the end of fall.I have a ton of embers when I use it.  I went out and bought a new electric starter since this incident freaked me out.  surprisingly my wife is not too freaked out and she would use any excuse for me to get rid of my egg. :)

How goes it with the Electric starter?  I got a ton of sparks from that also, and switched to starter cubes.  (I'm on a wood deck and used to wince every time I pulled the electric starter out of the lump pile, and sparks went EVERYWHERE..)  Plus, I stack my lump (big lump on the bottom..then mid sized then small on top) and pulling out the starter demolished my lump pile..

The starter cubes do throw a pretty high flame - especially in the Mini..but so far it doesn't seem to spark NEARLY as much.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • NervousDad
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    SmokyBear said:

How goes it with the Electric starter?  I got a ton of sparks from that also, and switched to starter cubes.  (I'm on a wood deck and used to wince every time I pulled the electric starter out of the lump pile, and sparks went EVERYWHERE..)  Plus, I stack my lump (big lump on the bottom..then mid sized then small on top) and pulling out the starter demolished my lump pile..

The starter cubes do throw a pretty high flame - especially in the Mini..but so far it doesn't seem to spark NEARLY as much.
    I've had pretty good luck with mine, lugging the extension cord sucks :)
    Aurora,OH