Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump vs. charcoal, "clean" smoke vs. "unclean" smoke

Options
2»

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @UXB, have you tried using Rockwood lump yet?  Give it a try if you can get it in your area.  It doesn't smoke that much to begin with and clears up fast. 

@stlcharcoal, can tell you where you can get it in your area.  I used to use Royal Oak and won't go back.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I think I have seen the same video, looks like a paid kingsford add to me.  Try a bag of Rockwood, I am sure you will like it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-78gzpW1U
    That is interesting.  He talks about how it has little ash production, but check out 2:44 when he dumps in the chimney.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @UXB ... try this site out for the closest Rockwood ... http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-buy-lump-charcoal/

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    Well you certainly must know a heck of a lot more than I do about charcoal. But the info I had from Engineering Toolbox lists autoignition temps of charcoal to be at 660*F.  I would think gently raising temp(indirect)to 250* should drive off a lot of volotile, light organic substances without begining to actually consume the charcoal. Of course safe handling practices should be used. A sealed metal can on a non flamable surface would be prudent in any event.

If you had the plate setter in, I suppose it would work, since it's out of direct heat.  Seems like a big waste to me.  As a consumer, you shouldn't have to burn charcoal to make charcoal.  If you have a bunch of smoke, you don't have charcoal--you have wood, right before it becomes charcoal.   Get a product that has been properly carbonized into CHARCOAL and forget about this thread altogether.  :)

I think this means I should try the Rockwood Lump. I promise I will do just that when my supply of BGE and RO are depleted.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • UXB
    UXB Posts: 21
    Options
    I appreciate the input! Thank you.