Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

torquing the bans on the egg

The discussion the other day mentioned the proper torque for the ban bolts does any anyone remember if were 10ft. Pound or 10in. Pounds?
Thanks

Comments

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Thanks, my top dosen't fit perfectly on the bottom part, although it dosen't leak, i'm determined to fit.
  • I believe it's 10 foot pounds

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2015
    125 inch pounds
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2015
    The range is as noted by DMW - 120 to 125 inch-pounds or 10 foot pounds. 

STEP 4 Position the dome onto the Egg bottom and inside the upper band taking care to align the front of the dome (the ceramic dome has a small hole in the band attaching surface that indicates the front) with the band front (midway between the handle attaching bolts) Insert (1) 5/16” x 2” carriage bolt through the square hole in the band flange then through the round hole in the opposite flange. Install (1) 5/16” flat washer and (1) 5/16” hex nut (hand tighten only). Check to make sure the dome is centered and seated evenly against the egg bottom. Next, position the hinge / band assembly so the lower band is as low as it will go all the way around on the egg bottom. The upper and lower bands will be properly spaced by the hinge assembly at the rear, but the bands are flexible and you should move the upper band as needed to make the space between the bands equal to the rear on the sides and front also. Next, securely tighten both the upper and lower bands to approximately 125 inch lbs. (bending of the bolt and the flanges during tightening is normal / recommended, Don’t fear, the ceramic will not break). Make sure the dome is still evenly seated on the Egg bottom and proceed to tighten all (8) Keps nuts that attach the hinge assembly to the bands. At this time, you should also tighten the 1⁄4” Acorn nuts that attach the handle assembly to the upper band. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Yeah, I'm an idiot. The installation material states it as in-lbs and that is what I remembered, totally skipped the quantity in my head. My apologies OP. 
  • luckyboy
    Thanks. I'll print this info and save it.
  • luckyboy
    Got it done, thanks for all the info!
    No, your not an idiot, you've been very helpful.