Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Temp Question

Options
DRKEgg
DRKEgg Posts: 37
Greetings to all on a lovely Masters Sunday. 

I put 2 butts on about 10 last night.   Dome Temp of 275 and that was consistent for over an hour.   At 7 this morning Dome was a little under 100 and meat had IT of 125.  Fire was not out as temp came right back up as soon as I opened vents.

Any one see any problems with the temp?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    IMO, you're ok.  Just take the pork to normal temps for pulling (200 or so).

Next time make sure you fill the fire ring full of lump, not just the fire box.  About an inch or so below your plate setter or ceramic stone. 

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks For the insight.   Still have plenty of lump, must have cut back airflow too much,  I guess. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I would guess airflow is the issue.  Been there done that.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I had a similar occurrence this weekend.  I put my butt on the night before, grate temp was 250-270.  4 AM I awaoke to find my grate temp at 180 and dropping.  I checked my fire, and it looked as if my lump had burned through and created a cavity inside my nest.  There was lump all around, but only a small part of it was in the bottom burning.  I nudged my ash basket, the lump collapsed on itself and the fire started going again.  Was the strangest thing.  But I got the butt up to 200 later on, pulled it for lunch and it was (and still is) terrific.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Even a crack should be plenty of air--I know its late for this- Make sure you pull and clean behind your firebox---stack large pieces in the bottom, medium then small working up--I take mine apart for every overnighter, only take a few minutes
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CrackedVent
    Options
    I did two butts a month ago and filled the coals up to two or three inches below the plate setter, legs up.  The dome temps were where I want them, 225-250 but the bottoms cooked too quickly.  I assumed this was radiant heat coming through the plate setter because I had made the fire too close to the plate setter.  It only took 8 hrs.