Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat

Options
Finally got around to starting on the brisket flat my daughter gave me. It has been injected with some of the Amish made butter from Kalona, Iowa and dusted with Dizzy Pig. I am also doing double duty with this post as the XL is being controlled with the TipTop Maverick temperature controller. It is regulating quite well at 225°F while experiencing wind gusts that normally upset the temps when Egging on my back deck. Will report back later regarding the outcome.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Will be standing by for the finale. Good luck brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    This thing is in the longest stall I have ever experienced!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    This thing is in the longest stall I have ever experienced!
    Hang in there. I will keep standing by. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bettysnephew
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Finally! 203° The meat flavor was superb and it almost fell apart. The bark was not as good as I would have liked. Tenderest brisket I have ever done. A slight burnt plasticy taste which I believe was caused by the melted butter hitting the foil covered plate setter. Should have put an elevated drip tray underneath. Something to try next time I guess. I will do this again but with a whole brisket not a flat. @SGH thanks for the butter injection idea, for a flat other than the burnt butter taste it turned out very well, better than some whole ones I have cooked.
    The bimetal temp controller worked very well also. Very little deviation shown on the Maverick 732.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    Glad to hear that it turned out my friend. Any pics?

Status- Standing by.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Too dark when I pulled it off and we had to get to eating as the Mrs. has to be at the airport very early tomorrow. Had sweet potatoes and asparagus spears as sides. Looked pretty much like every other brisket, like Darth Vader seared it with his light saber. Black burnt lump.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa