Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick Temp controller

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I used the Maverick Temp controller on the XL to reverse sear a tri tip. I took the cap off my Smoke Ware and just placed it inside the bottom ring. This kept it from falling off when the lid was opened. I regulated the temp to 280 for the roasting portion and it held very well. The wind was gusty and I could see the flapper adjusting as the direction and velocity changed. It regulated to within about 5° for the duration of the cook which I felt was acceptable for a device this inexpensive ($25). My back deck seems to be in a position that is much affected by wind changes and regulation of temp has always been an issue so I find this to be an easy way to counteract some of that problem. It performed as well or slightly better than I expected. It's not high tech and might not be the most durable but it did it's job. I think it will work well for low and slow cooks.  Sometimes simple is better. I suspect it will rust in time as it does not appear to be made from stainless but what can one expect at this price point? All in all I am pleased with its' performance but if things go awry later I will post again.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    David, what $25 Maverick Temp controller are you referring to? I've never heard of that device, or haven't paid any attention. Can you post a link or a picture? TIA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    David, what $25 Maverick Temp controller are you referring to? I've never heard of that device, or haven't paid any attention. Can you post a link or a picture? TIA
    i think maveric bought thr rights or company called tiptoptemp, i use one on my vision kub sometimes, it fits the kub
    http://tiptoptemp.com/shop/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think fishless is correct:

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/bbq-accessories/#/ttt-01-tip-top-temp/

That is pretty sweet that it fits the smokeware cap.  I guess the "chimney" on medium, large, xl eggs are all the same size?  I only see one size for the smokeware. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    i think maveric bought thr rights or company called tiptoptemp, i use one on my vision kub sometimes, it fits the kub
    http://tiptoptemp.com/shop/

Hmm, I might have to try that on my next BGE purchase.  If it works, $25 is a whole lot cheaper than $250 and it looks so easy to install.  Not that the BBQ guru is a lot of work, but it does take some time to install and get it all set-up.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Price has gone up - now $29.99 but no S & H which is amazing!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    RRP said:
    Price has gone up - now $29.99 but no S & H which is amazing!!!
    last summer they were 20.00 free shipping and it came with an additional temp gage. im betting they sell more at the higher price with maverics marketing. i set my kub up for 230 and it was still going 12 hours later which is amazing for that mini sized cooker
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited April 2015
    Options
     Fishless and Smokey found the right one. I ordered from the BBQ Equipment Store. Still $24.99 on their site, don't remember if there was S&H.  http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/main.sc 
    It doesn't really fit on the Smokeware base but drops inside which keeps it from falling off the Egg when the lid is tipped up. The temp adjust knob clears the top of the SW base. I pulled the big rubber band thingy (highly technical term) down a bit below the edge of the base of the controller and it seemed to conform to the top of the Egg well enough to regulate the temp and not leak. Pretty impressive for that price. ETA, I would not use it for high temps as I think the seal ring might melt, but 350° would probably be OK. I don't think it would work for cold smoking as the fire would likely go out, but it might be worth a try.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa