Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Ribeyes - Or How I Lost My Reverse Sear Virginity

Options
oldgeezeystax
oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
Picked up some local grass-fed boneless ribeyes on sale to pop my reverse sear cherry. Went simple s&p for seasoning and steamed broccoli / hasselback sweet potato for sides. Also made a quick herb butter to apply when serving.

Process:

Egg to 250, grid extender on top of CI griddle, steaks to 110ish, remove/tent, open egg up and let CI heat up to 700, pat steaks, sear for 90 seconds each side.

Results: 

Pretty really tasty medium to mid rare with a decent sear.

Lessons learned:
1. The CI can't be too hot and the meat can't be too dry, my sear could have been better. Next time I'll put the steaks on a rack while I wait for the CI to hear up so they get a little drier.

2. It's hard to time spuds hence then being absent from the photos. I par-boiled the sweet potato but not enough, it wasn't even close to finished in the half hour or so that the steaks were cooking. Next time I need to par-boil longer, cook the spuds in the oven instead, or start in the egg wayyyyyy before the meat.

3. SWMBO doesn't care for meat for the sake of meat. Her favorite steak dishes are filets with pan reductions while I like me a nice cut with just s&p. O well, you can't please all the people all the time and she is still jazzed from the burgers and pulled pork.

Picture time:

Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments