Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short ribs going on for Friday. help plzz-z

Options
AUCE
AUCE Posts: 890
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
First time cooking shorties.
Looking for suggestions.
Temps, times, closely guarded secrets and preps from the masters would be appreciated. 
2 good looking racks on the xl

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,591
    Options
    I think DMW is one of the short rib experts I am sure he will chime in soon..Good luck.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • AUCE
    Options
    Thx.....curious as to cutting or keeping racks whole as well...also best wood smoke for them....I'm an apple luvva....but thinking another...

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you have uncut short ribs, I would not cut them. Keep them as a slab. They will be either Chuck or Plate. The way to tell is Chuck have 3 bones, Plate 4.

These are some of my favorite things to smoke, they turn out great, just don't pull them before they are happy. Judge happiness by probing like butter, just like a butt. This is will happen +/- 200* IT. Can take 6 to 8 hours depending on how thick they are and marbling, etc.

For seasoning, think brisket style. I've gone just salt & pepper with good results. Mickey's Coffee Rub is good, as well DP Cow Lick, Montreal Steak, etc.

As far as wood for smoke, I'd go oak. You could mix in pecan, cherry, or even a bit of hickory with the oak, but you want oak smoke on those.

Enjoy, good eats await.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AUCE
    Options
    DMW said:
    If you have uncut short ribs, I would not cut them. Keep them as a slab. They will be either Chuck or Plate. The way to tell is Chuck have 3 bones, Plate 4.

These are some of my favorite things to smoke, they turn out great, just don't pull them before they are happy. Judge happiness by probing like butter, just like a butt. This is will happen +/- 200* IT. Can take 6 to 8 hours depending on how thick they are and marbling, etc.

For seasoning, think brisket style. I've gone just salt & pepper with good results. Mickey's Coffee Rub is good, as well DP Cow Lick, Montreal Steak, etc.

As far as wood for smoke, I'd go oak. You could mix in pecan, cherry, or even a bit of hickory with the oak, but you want oak smoke on those.

Enjoy, good eats await.

Thanks Brother...Mucho mucho...Stay tuned..cook progress will be posted....beginning tomorrow at 9-10am..

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    @DMW ... different locations cut the meat differently, so I hate to question your call.  But, the Chuck short ribs in our area (NAMP 130) are made up of ribs two thru five ... so four ribs with a slight taper across the bottom ends.  The plate/rib beef short ribs start at rib six and end wherever ... usually one, two, or three ribs in the cut.

Keeping them as a slab is definitely the way to go though.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DMW
    Options
    I just repeat what @cazzy says...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    DMW said:
    That's a perfect setup, but I'll be a good boy and not swing at it!  

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• AUCE
    Options
    225°?

• DMW
    Options
    AUCE said:
    225°?
    225* grid/250* dome, thereabouts.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    DMW said:
    Except you got it backwards.  Chuck Beef Ribs (IMPS #130) have 4 bones and Plate Short Ribs (IMPS #123A) have 3 bones.    ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    Options
    cazzy said:
    DMW said:
    Except you got it backwards.  Chuck Beef Ribs (IMPS #130) have 4 bones and Plate Short Ribs (IMPS #123A) have 3 bones.    ;)
    You're right (of course). Not sure how I switched that up. It was kind of early...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've done them a few times and left them intact or as long singular bones, smoked at 250 dome for 7 hrs or so, when I get the cut shorties I smoke then braise. Like @DMWI season like a brisket. I also like to throw a little worcestshire, then salt, pepper, and a little Montreal steak seasoning... Good eats await
  • AUCE
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys...these say chuck...think there 4 boners....hehe....I'll keep you all posted....

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SIngle Bones are ok too. 

5 1/2 hours, raised indirect at 250-275. Rub of choice, hickory

Pull and sauce for 30 minutes. 

Easy Peasy

New Albany, Ohio 

• DMW
    Options
    Post pics
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• AUCE
    Options
    Will do..can't wait

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Good luck on your beef ribs. I love short ribs. Here is my last cook with how I did them:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178629/chuck-short-ribs?new=1

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • AUCE
    Options
    To room temp. 
    Contrary to what many think it takes quite a while to achieve. ...2 hrs on these...

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If you like the way the ribs come out, look around for your nearest Restaurant Depot store to buy more.  Last time I bought some they were $3.99/pound. It was good to see, though, that Publix sells them uncut.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • AUCE
    Options
     On.....

• AUCE
    Options
    Ok here we go

• AUCE
    Options

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,591
    Options
    Do you have any room under your veg/drip pan to get a little air flow going..Or maybe thats the way you want it..Just an observation..You are in for a treat with those ribs.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • AUCE
    Options

• AUCE
    Options
    Got shanghai ' by momma on a shopping expedition. ..went on 2 hrs late..damnit

• AUCE
    edited April 2015
    Options
    AUCE said:

Need that water hot to get the vegs cooked in time....been spot on in the past...fingers crossed

• AUCE
    Options
    160°   lil bit to go til 200ish

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Did you check the internal temp on those greenbeans?  They're done at 210F.  ;)
    Options
    Did you check the internal temp on those greenbeans?  They're done at 210F.  ;)
    Lol....yes probed..lol