Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon and Stuff on the Small

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
Last night we went to Nala (http://www.nalaexton.com/) with friends and introduced them to dishes they had never heard of. Had a blast and with the wind and cold temps I wasn't all that bummed I wasn't cooking. Took the opportunity to stop by Hill's and picked up this:

And now we come to today, prepped the salmon with Kosher Salt and Salt-Free DP Raging River. Why SF RR? That's what I had open...

Got the Small to 300* with a small chunk of pecan wood, placed a soaked cedar plank on raised direct, flipped it at 3 minutes, and salmon went on.

While it was cooking I prepped a glaze of Maple Syrup:Butter:Dijon Mustard. I eyeballed it in the pan, aprox 2:1:1. I reduced it until thickened and when the thickest part of the salmon was 105* it got is first coat and I bumped the temp to 400*.
At 115*, and again at 125* additional glaze. All these temps were aprox, not exact. If it was with a degree or so of target when I checked, I glazed. When it hit 135* at the thickest I pulled it to rest.

While this was resting I pulled the woo and put the asparagus on. Asparagus was coated with EVOO/Salt/Pepper.

Flipped a couple times until there was nice char on both sides:

Made for a great dinner tonight. I really liked the maple butter glaze with the RR on the salmon.

I didn't shut the Small down, as it was pretty grody and needed to clean itself out. We decided some grilled Peeps were in order.

I've never tried this before, turned out pretty good. Not to say I've never had Peeps before (I kind of have a weakness for them), just never tried roasting them. The kids got a kick out of it as well.

Weather looks better going forward this week. I hope Spring actually does visit us this year and we don't go right to summer.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments