Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fogo Lump users

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
On mobile site and can't figure out how to search old threads. I came across Fogo today and was wondering how it is. $12.00 for 17 lbs. 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    edited March 2015
    And why does this bag look different than Naked Whiz review? Change the bag since 2013 review or is this some originated somewhere else? And yes, I made sure it is not briquettes 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Fogo is great and that's a great deal.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    That's a good price. It's burns long. I'd definitely buy that. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Anytime you can find FOGO for less than $1/lb you should not leave it at the store.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• buzd504
    Chubbs said:
    And why does this bag look different than Naked Whiz review? Change the bag since 2013 review or is this some originated somewhere else? And yes, I made sure it is not briquettes 
    I've seen both bags on Amazon.  I don't think there is a difference.

NOLA
  • Chubbs
    So that is the same looking bag you guys have used? Why does it look different than the bags I have seen (all brown)?
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I've never seen a bag of FOGO that color, but I would buy it anyway. It's a fantastic price for a really good brand of lump - it's not Ozark or Rockwood, but it's a solid contender.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• buzd504
    Chubbs said:
    So that is the same looking bag you guys have used? Why does it look different than the bags I have seen (all brown)?

I think that size uses a different bag.  Here it is on Amazon (and note the price):

http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC8KG-Natural-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B00E8CVRPS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427046636&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=fogo+17lb

NOLA
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    I ordered my first bag of FOGO from Amazon a short time ago.  I was very impressed that it arrived in such good shape.  I've used it for a few cooks and so far so good.  For those of us that can't get Rockwood (affordably) it's a nice option.  I don't think you're in that category but you still probably can't go wrong.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Chubbs
    Nice, thanks guys. 

@Dyal_SC this is at Rosewood market, just an FYI. They had 5 bags. I will go buy tomorrow let me know if you want some or I am getting it all. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I have used it, and same exact bag here in Ca, some of the best lump I've used.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have bought that bag a couple times. It may be the same lump company but seemed to be completly different. It wasn't as dense and the pieces weren't as big. It was still good and at that price would stock up.
  • Chubbs
    anton said:
    I have used it, and same exact bag here in Ca, some of the best lump I've used.
    Noted, thanks
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    FOGO packaging is all over the map - it might be where it is from?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Pick that up! Fogo is my go to for long burns from here on out. The size of the chunks is amazing.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • My only thought on Fogo is that you need to be prepared for a lot of large pieces so you need a lump hammer type tool. I almost had no pieces smaller than baseballs and had to grab a hammer and break it down. I noticed that it took a bit longer to get hot, but once it got going it burned very long.
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • buzd504
    My only thought on Fogo is that you need to be prepared for a lot of large pieces so you need a lump hammer type tool. I almost had no pieces smaller than baseballs and had to grab a hammer and break it down. I noticed that it took a bit longer to get hot, but once it got going it burned very long.

I've been trying to get a lump hammer tool, but they always seem to be out of stock.
    NOLA
  • Chubbs
    My only thought on Fogo is that you need to be prepared for a lot of large pieces so you need a lump hammer type tool. I almost had no pieces smaller than baseballs and had to grab a hammer and break it down. I noticed that it took a bit longer to get hot, but once it got going it burned very long.
    I like the large pieces- I set them aside and then put them at the bottom for a long cook. Then I use the preburned or smaller pieces in my mini
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Lot of large pieces is a good problem to have.  Most of my lump peices lately has looked like chunks of broken glass-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I've been using it for the past 4-6 months. I love it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    @blind99 looks like your washing machine ran over in your yard. Might want to get that checked out. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @theyolksonyou hah!  I'm happy to say that pic was from a few weeks ago. I'm sad to say we got snow flurries today.  It's beyond me why we don't all move to South Carolina. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chubbs
    edited March 2015
    blind99 said:
    @theyolksonyou hah!  I'm happy to say that pic was from a few weeks ago. I'm sad to say we got snow flurries today.  It's beyond me why we don't all move to South Carolina. 
    Because it is got as hell come July and August! Columbia summers can be brutal. Nothing like 115F heat index with 80% humidity
  • theyolksonyou
    Yep. A lot like NGA. I can endure the summer a helluva lot better that 20' of frickin snow!
  • I bought 350 lbs on Amazon when they had a sale, free shipping on Prime. I've been burning that off for some time. It does have some huge pieces but not much dust. The 35 lb bags are a bit unwieldy but were a good deal for me. Figo was my replacement for Wicked Good when it was in disrepute.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    @jeroldharter
    So YOU'RE the guy that bought them out back in the fall!   I was ordering some and got in just before they sold out :)

Good catch sir!
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Chubbs said:
    blind99 said:
    Because it is got as hell come July and August! Columbia summers can be brutal. Nothing like 115F heat index with 80% humidity
    Move to the coast, homie! That's the only way I could do SC again.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Really liked Fogo when I bought some last Thanksgiving.  I liked it probably equally the same if not better than Rockwood.  Low and slows were a dream with it and pieces were nice a big.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2015
    Really liked Fogo when I bought some last Thanksgiving.  I liked it probably equally the same if not better than Rockwood.  Low and slows were a dream with it and pieces were nice a big. 
    Nice to hear this since it is my most viable option, given where I live, other than WGWW.  I still plan on using RO for hot cooks and clean outs.  I just picked up my first bag of FOGO this month and so far, so good.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Chubbs
    blind99 said:
    Because it is got as fell come July and August! Columbia summers can be brutal. Nothing like 115F heat index with 80% humidity
    Chubbs said:
    blind99 said:
    Move to the coast, homie! That's the only way I could do SC again.
    Born and raised on coast. It is still hot as hell. I would take hot over cold any day though. I don't know how you northerners do it. Takes longer to get kids dressed, power bill higher with gas heat, takes forever for car to warm up, less to do outside in cold weather, get cabin fever...... So on and so on. No women in bikinis, etc etc etc