Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not sure what I got into ....

Options
So I like to share my food as much as I like to cook it.  Well I guess my neighbors like it too.

They asked (and I agreed) to cook for their sons graduation.

They want me to cook pork shoulders/butts.

I would like to do appetizers too.

Here is the kicker, they expect over 100 people.

How much pork do you guys do per person?  Also any advice on appetizers?

I have an XL, a medium, and a WSM (access to 2 more if need be).  The graduation party is May 17th so I have time to practice everything and do taste testing for them.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You could start cooking pork now and freeze/reheat. 

Ill be thinking about Apps. Those will have to be day of I think if egged. 
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Roughly 30 pounds of pork at least. Figuring 1/3 person a lb.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Multi tier, multi butt
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    you got your hands full. Ill Pm you about a pretty slick app recipe that you can crank out pretty quick
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,090
    Options
    I'm thinking 4 shoulders on main grid on XL and maybe a second tier.  I can fit 1 to 2 more on the medium.  I can fit 4 on the WSM.

So 30lbs should doable .... maybe I can talk @Jeepster47 into letting me borrow his BBQ guru?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Hell, tell him to load up his eggs and bring em over!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I cooked pork butts for my boys graduation, did 3 raised and 3 on the regular grid on my XL.  Worked fine, you just have to take care arranging them and rotate or shield the ones that end up over the platesetter gap.

We didn't have 100, probably more like 60 and I put several lbs of pulled porknon the freezer afterward.

Party wasn't the same day as graduation, so I just did L&S to finish about 10 AM, Pulled it as they came off, then into foil pans with lids and FTC those until the party.  That much meat in a cooler holds temp really well.

We let people make their own sandwiches with Hawaiian rolls and some other kind of rolls.  The meat went really far.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen. They are asking a lot of you.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hell, tell him to load up his eggs and bring em over!
    He does have a handler on one.  You might be onto something.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

grege345 said:
    you got your hands full. Ill Pm you about a pretty slick app recipe that you can crank out pretty quick
    The would be great!
  • Legume
    Options
    Not your party, so you'll have much less stress and much less to do than if you were hosting
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    High school or college graduation? What time of day? If it's over a meal time you'll need more then that. For a meal I usually plan on half a pound raw per person especially if expecting many 18-23 year old people.

If it's a mid day / snack and hors devours occasion you are probably close.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen. They are asking a lot of you.
    There will be pics!  I agreed before I knew the numbers.  I was thinking 40-50, but hey I love a challenge.

I haven't promised apps, just said I would think about it.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    High school or college graduation? What time of day? If it's over a meal time you'll need more then that. For a meal I usually plan on half a pound raw per person especially if expecting many 18-23 year old people.

If it's a mid day / snack and hors devours occasion you are probably close.
    High-school graduation, Sunday so thinking it will be mid-day.

Good questions btw, lots of stuff I have never considered.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Piece of cake for you all down there. I'm not even worried for you. Looking forward to seeing all the butts packed on the eggs. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    30lbs (uncooked weight) with apps and stuff should be plenty. And you have more than enough cookers at your disposal to do this pretty easily. Have fun with it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Is it invite only or an open house? Open houses are more common for high school graduations in my neck of the woods. What else will be provided besides the pork is a big factor. Will that be the only entree or are they doing another option? Sorry just trying to bring up things to think about/ ask the hosts.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @caliking I'm gonna have to search your threads.  Your apps killed it at Salado.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Piece of cake for you all down there. I'm not even worried for you. Looking forward to seeing all the butts packed on the eggs. 
    I might have to head up your way for more Rockwood Mr. Newest dealer on the block ;)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Scottborasjr pretty sure it is invite, but kind of open ended if that makes sense.  Mostly expecting family.  I will make sure to ask though.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Maybe I should turn it into an eggfest lol!  Get you real cookers to help.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Oh you got this @Ozzie_Isaac you got this. Just get as much info as you can about crowd to expect and other food that will be available. If the possibilities exist that there will be an after party however I'm sure you could get some other eggers to show up  =)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Not your party, so you'll have much less stress and much less to do than if you were hosting

Oddly, I'd feel just the opposite.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Sounds like a reason to order a Stoker to me....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Botch said:

No matter I will stress about the food, but luckily that is all I have to worry about.

My neighbors are real good people they like the kind of grub I do so will be like cooking for family.
  • Legume
    Options
    Botch said:

Yeah, it's not no stress, I mean everything else that you have to consider when it's your kid graduating, your family coming from out of town, your house everyone is coming to and your wife winding you up.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Maybe he'll be neighborly and deliver you a sweet thank you package....OO lump, SRF brisket, a new MM.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Get done early. Put the pp in aluminum pans, foil and ftc. They can replenish as needed so it's warm. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The rule of thumb I have read is you plan for 40% loss during cooking.  If you are going to serve sammiches, then I think 1/4 lb serving is good.  That comes out to about 42 lbs of raw weight.  If you can find 5 butts a little over 8 lbs each I think that should be about right.  Do you have a raised grid setup for the XL?  If so I think you could fit 6 no problem so I might just go with 6 butts and plan for leftovers.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    No raised grid right now, but I have plenty of extra grids.  Maybe I will see if I can rig up something to get 2 tiers.