Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

@SGH Sawmill Gravy

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Guys and gals this recipe is legit. Made it this morning for the family and happy to report it is exactly what I was looking for. Was perfect for biscuits and gravy this morning and it is as easy as it gets to make. Thanks for the recipe @SGH!! Did not get a picture so of course I am lying but everyone needs to try this. 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I know it didn't happen, but where is the recipe? 
  • Chubbs
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Fry bacon, or sausage or both. Dump out all but 1/4 cup grease. Stir in 1/4 cup of flour until combined then 2 cups whole milk and stir continuously until thick and bubbles. Salt and pepper liberally. Then stir in a sausage patty (that has been crumbled) and 1/4 cup of bacon bit. Stir until combined then put on anything. It is damn good. Thanks again SGH!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know it didn't happen, but where is the recipe? 
    original thread

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1172634/southern-sawmill-gravy-for-pnwfoodie/p1

I usually do the following for sausage gravy...dont measure though.

Fry a small tube of sausage, remove sausage and add flour to rendered fat till roux is thick and creamy.  Cook the roux for a couple minutes, then I add some milk, whisking constantly (high heat) till your roux reacts and starts to thicken your gravy.  At this point, I'll add more milk till the consistency is right.  I drop the heat to medium, switch to a wooden spoon, add the cooked sausage and a bunch of pepper.  Salt till it tastes right.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @cazzy, that's how I do it, except I use cream. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    The combo of sausage and bacon is the key in this. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Thanks again SGH!
    My pleasure brother. Glad that you enjoyed it. The recipe is great as is however it can be doctored up with jibbles of bacon, sausage or both. The sky is the limit. If time ever permits, I will share some variations of this recipe that are awesome. Again, glad that you enjoyed it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Every time I make this, my family thinks I am the most talented and awesome chef in the world, lol.  The ratio of easy to awesome is beyond comprehension! The platypus of the culinary world, it just doesn't add up.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    Thanks again SGH!
    My pleasure brother. Glad that you enjoyed it. The recipe is great as is however it can be doctored up with jibbles of bacon, sausage or both. The sky is the limit. If time ever permits, I will share some variations of this recipe that are awesome. Again, glad that you enjoyed it.
    So there you are. Bet your ears were burning. All kidding aside, we did talk about you. Really bad about you. NOLA and henapple said you were real and Centex said he just couldn't remember a damn thing about meeting you. You were missed brother. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:
    So there you are. Bet your ears were burning. All kidding aside, we did talk about you. Really bad about you. NOLA and henapple said you were real and Centex said he just couldn't remember a damn thing about meeting you. You were missed brother. 
    Brother I have been absolutley beside myself.  I was suppose to have got off at noon on Friday and been off through Monday. But unfortunately it didn't work out. Now im stuck with 6 briskets and a prime rib that I ordered for Salado. I wanted to be there more than you can imagine. Glad that yall all had a great time my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Options
    SGH said:
    Mickey said:
    Now im stuck with 6 briskets and a prime rib that I ordered for Salado. 
    Stuck? 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH I cried when I learned you would not be there. I will attempt your gravy this week and think of you.

Let me know when you are ready to ship those briskets my way. Better yet, pack them up and head to PA, weather is improving day by day.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH I cried when I learned you would not be there. 
    Brother D, rather you believe this or not, I was so furious when I realized it was a no go for me that I honestly teared up. I wanted to be there bad this year. 

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I said you were real...a real &/#!
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    Options
    henapple said:
    I said you were real...a real &/#!
    That's not nice Uncle Apple. But I still love you  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• islanderegger
    Options
     That was a bummer, I was waiting for some shots of those briskeys and roast but I am going to try your gray too this week SGH. Sorry you didn't get to go bud.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bumpity bump just in time for the holidays. It's the real deal Holyfield. @SGH
  • SGH
    Options
    Bumpity bump just in time for the holidays. It's the real deal Holyfield. @SGH
    I'm certainly glad that you liked it brother Double. I'm pretty fond of it myself. It's no doubt akin to the ole hippy in a windstorm. 

Status- Standing by.

• Chubbs
    Options
    This recipe is indeed the shizzit. Make it a lot
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
     The ratio of easy to awesome is beyond comprehension! The platypus of the culinary world, it just doesn't add up.
    @SGH I'm glad to know another brother out there can make gravy. 2Tbsp tasty fat, 2Tbsp flour, add 11/2 - 2  cup yummy liquid (more or less depending on how thick one enjoys gravy), enhance with other tasty goodness. That about sum it up?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Fry bacon, or sausage or both. Dump out all but 1/4 cup grease. Stir in 1/4 cup of flour until combined then 2 cups whole milk and stir continuously until thick and bubbles. Salt and pepper liberally. Then stir in a sausage patty (that has been crumbled) and 1/4 cup of bacon bit. Stir until combined then put on anything. It is damn good. Thanks again SGH!
    @Chubbs  Where you been brother? Good to see you stop by.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Been making that gravy since I was a kid - watching my grandmother making it. Good homemade biscuits really make it great. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    @Chubbs  Where you been brother? Good to see you stop by.
    Man, new job, never in town so spend the few days I am in town with wife and kids. Been a challenging yet rewarding year. My eggs have definitely taken a back seat lately. Thanks for the note
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    This is similar to how I make mine, but I add a quarter finely chopped onion and a finely chopped celery stock before the flour.  The celery stalk leaves are key as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL