Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinated flank steak with chimichurri sauce

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
edited March 2015 in Beef
I had plenty of prep time earlier today, but my actual cooking window was going to be short tonight, so I decided to cook up a marinated flank steak with chimichurri sauce. 

For the marinade: olive oil, garlic, red wine vinager, soy sauce, honey, salt and pepper 

for the chimichurri: fresh Italian parsley, fresh oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, red pepper, salt, black pepper, olive oil

I filled the egg with Ozark Oak and got it cranked up to 425 and tossed on the flank steak. I gave it 2-3 per flip for a total of about 6 minutes total per side and pulled the steak when the thickest part hit 120. Everything came out perfect, rare in part for me and med rare for the lady. 

This is is a great recipe to use when you know you won't have a ton of cooking time for an upcoming meal. Marinade the meat over night and make the chimichurri the day before as well, the flavor only gets better over time!

edit: the chimichurri also is delicious as a salad dressing which makes an easy cook even easier. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sign. Me. Up. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What a come back cook brother Chilly. Allow me:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dang, that's three cooks I've bookmarked for this weekend; I need more folks at the table to alleviate the leftovers problem.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That is now on the list
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow! Looks delicious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Ooh, that looks good.  I love flank steak.
    NOLA
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! If I had known Ozark Oak was in short supply nowadays I would have finished off the already open bag of RW I had in the basement. Looks like I'll have to save my last 3 bags for special occasions. 

Very happy with the final results of the cook. I need make chimichurri more often. Lots of people like to use cilantro in it as well but I find the simple oregano parsley blend pairs with beef better. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice, love chimichurri.  It's kind of a "mutt" insofar as you can follow the spirit of the recipe and come up with something delicious.  And flank is awesome cooked like a steak after marinade.   I scrape the flank before grilling so I get a crust (and not spend all that heat with evaporation of marinade).  Actually I try to do that with everything I grill post marination.   Good job.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Tinyfish
    See seal of approval above my friend^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Tinyfish
    See seal of approval above my friend^^^^^^^^^^^

And the cook is well deserved of your seal.

One day when I grow up I hope to earn a seal too. Now that the weather is staring to change I have to catch up on my egging.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Never played with a flank steak myself. I have a wagyu flank ready to go sometime this week.  This looks like a great way to do this cut. Thanks for the lead. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER I'm glad my cook gave you a bit of an idea how to attack your cook and honored that you'd use it as insperation on as fine a cut as a Waygu flank. Good luck my friend, and please tag me in a thread of the finished product if you make one!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration
  • chupacabra
    Options
    @ChillyWillis looks great!
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks good buddy.  That is a kick ass looking chopping block you got there too!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome. I love the plated shot, that's magazine worthy!

my favorite breakfast is an over easy eggs with a little steak, chimmichurri sauce and cheese on an English muffin. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Looks great!  I have a flank steak on my possible menu for this weekend.  
    Can't wait! 
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob