Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chips for Mexican Pulled Pork?

Options
Flemaze
Flemaze Posts: 4
This Sunday I'm having family over to do a pork shoulder for pulled pork tacos.  I've had my BGE for only a few days now and I've done three basic cooks (whole chicken, plank salmon and burgers - they all turned out pretty darn well), so I've decided it's time for my first low and slow.  I haven't used wood chips yet and I'm hoping to get some advice from all the vets out there as to what type of wood would work best for a Mexican style cook (cumin, chili powder, pepper rub).  Also, I've done this recipe in the oven before and put a full beer and lime in the pot with the pork, can I do that with a drip pan or will it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    None imo. You don't want that BBQ taste.
    Seattle, WA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Carnitas. Best if cooked in a cast iron pot. I chunk the pork butt up into smaller pieces and season. I add braising liquid to the mix, such as OJ and water. Look up carnitas on a recipe site or here and you will get some ideas. When the pork is cooked down and almost tender, remove the lid and reduce the liquid and firm up the bark. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Oh, wood smoke not needed IMO. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've done beef like you are describing and had good results.  I think in your case I would rub heavily with the seasonings you listed and skip the liquid.  Once the pork is pulled and you mix the bark in with the meat you should have a good Mexican twist.  And if you want to use wood I would just use a cherry/Apple mix.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Flemaze
    Options
    Carnitas. Best if cooked in a cast iron pot. I chunk the pork butt up into smaller pieces and season. I add braising liquid to the mix, such as OJ and water. Look up carnitas on a recipe site or here and you will get some ideas. When the pork is cooked down and almost tender, remove the lid and reduce the liquid and firm up the bark. 
    Thanks for all the great feedback....

Newbie question: Is there any advantage to using the BGE if the meat is going in a cast iron pot?  Would an oven be as effective?  (I apologize in advance if I've just offended anyone  :s)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Honestly, if I'm making carnitas, I cook the roast in a slow cooker with a lot of liquid and spices, then chunk it and braise either stove top, or if I'm really lazy under the broiler. Use the right tool to get the job done to your liking. Not offensive. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @Flemaze no, you're right. It's easier to Dutch oven indoors or use a crock pot for the carnitas. But it's more fun to egg it.  There isn't really a wrong way to do it. Just pick what works best for you
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Scratch that.

There is a wrong way to do it.  Make sure you have a drink in hand and you're all set
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Do exactly what you described above and maybe add some hickory or mesquite chunks for smoke.  If I'm correct (from what you said above) you are looking to do pulled pork tacos - not carnitas.  Carnitas is cut into chunks then cooked in lard/water in a DO.  Maybe marinate the shoulder in OJ and garlic for 24 hours prior to cook....season, smoke, pull.  I'd just serve with a fresh slice of lime to squeeze on each taco.  Enjoy and let us know how it turns out.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    pulled pork i use hickory, or hickory and cherry, or hickory and a very small amt of mesquite. mesquite can be overpowering, i wouldnt use it for a first cook, experiment with it down the road
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    My only advice is to ditch the chips and start using chunks. I started out with chips and have several bags left, but in my opinion chunks give better results. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sounds like you braise the pork when you do it in the oven. The same process at the same temp will work in the egg. The lump will give a touch of smoke on its own. 
    For tacos, the rub on the pork will add flavour when you pull it and the cook is like most buttts, indirect with a drip pan. Sauce is added after the pull. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Flemaze
    Options
    Wow glad I asked, tons of great feedback.  I think I'll go with a classic low and slow with drip pan, indirect heat.  I'll hold off on wood for now since the lump alone will give me a bit of smokiness and I don't want to overpower the Mexican spices as recommended above.  Lime on the side when it's time to eat.  I'll take pics and post an update when it's all said and done.  Interested to see how it compares to my oven method.  
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Standing by
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• pgprescott
    Options
    My only advice is to ditch the chips and start using chunks. I started out with chips and have several bags left, but in my opinion chunks give better results. 
    It is good to have both. Chips are great when you want light smoke on more delicate meats. Too much smoke can overwhelm the palate with lighter proteins and vegetables. I agree for large cuts of beef and pork, chunks are always the way to go. Chicken and fish and veggies, not so much. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For another way to cook the butt. Use your rub and turbo cook it. I do not do any overnights after starting to turbo. 
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Also good with the coffee rub. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Flemaze
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well I'd call it a success with a few things to work on...

I put the 4lb butt on at 12:30pm and set the dome to 350 for a turbo.  At 4:00pm the meat thermometer read 198 but the backside of the shoulder felt too firm so I repositioned the thermometer and it read 192.  Left it on for another 45 minutes and internal temp rose to 194.  Took it off at that point and there were still some firm sections but that was to be expected given the internal temp.  Bark was super tasty (and a nice addition compared to the oven method) and the tacos were a hit but I should have left it on longer. I might invest in a thermometer that gives me grill temp as well so I know what the differential between dome and grill is.  That said it was a fun first pork butt on the egg and I'm looking forward to perfecting it!  

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Looks good from where I'm sittin'
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I recommend you don't eat those, until I come over and perform a proper quality test on them.  =)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Daymn. :clap: 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice looking tacos.  Welcome to the forum?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX