Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT...first time virgin advice.

Options
After seeing all those delicious  pic's of ABT's it my turn to give them a try.

To keep the heat as mild as possible is it better to
1. soak jalapeno in cold water for 1/2 hour
2. Par boil in boiling water for a few minutes

i will cook raised indirect at 250 till bacon is crisp thinking 1.5-2 hours.  

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I've never tried either of those two but am definitely interested to hear what others say. Just make sure you get all the veins and the seeds out.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Never tried either. I think if they're well gutted and cooked they calm down a lot. But I don't mind the heat so take that with a grain of salt.
  • boochsr71
    Options
    cut the veins out and remove the seeds to lesson the heat

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I wouldn't pre cook them and I don't think it will take near that long to cook them.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The cooking time seems way too long to me as well - they'd be quite mushy after that much time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Another who has never tried to reduce/eliminate the heat beyond deveining and removing the seeds.  I would start with that and then make sure your filling is heat-less and you should be just fine.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never cooked abt's and only remember having one once (at a fest). It was somewhat spicy, but I don't know why unless it was the seasoning they used.

I do eat jalapeños, but except for that fest one, I've never had one that was particularly spicy. I always seed and devein them, but whether cooked or raw, they just aren't very potent. I know they aren't ghost peppers, but I would think I'd get more heat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinpig
    Options
    I suggest cooking at 300 for an hour. Higher in the dome will help you crisp the underneath bacon wrap which is the last to crisp.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Smokinpig
    Options
    I did these last weekend.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Wrap your tool and drink plenty of booze. You will last longer. Think about baseball
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Wrap your tool and drink plenty of booze. You will last longer. Think about baseball

"Wrap your tool and drink plenty of booze" - my uncle's advice for enjoying college.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tisoypops
    Options
    I made them for the super bowl and they were hardly spicy at all after getting the seeds out. Wifey loved them and she's not into really spicy stuff. The wings we had were much spicier.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    Clean them out good and remove all the seeds. Cook slower at lower heat. Haven't had a problem with too hot even for SWMBO who is a spice wimp. :). Just make sure to get the veins too.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Took advice a cleaned out seeds and all veins soaked in cold water 1/2 hour. The result was very very little heat. I did cook nice and slow at low heat.