Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone cut the Cable?

Options

Tired of the huge cable bill. Thinking about netfilx, hulu plus, and I already have amazon prime. Bunch of crap channels I never watch  anyway.

What say you?

St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Only thing holding me is live sports. All I watch. Don't watch a single series and couldn't tell you last movie I watched.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

Only thing holding me is live sports. All I watch. Don't watch a single series and couldn't tell you last movie I watched.

as in espn or nbc abc?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    MaC122 said:

Tired of the huge cable bill. Thinking about netfilx, hulu plus, and I already have amazon prime. Bunch of crap channels I never watch  anyway.

What say you?

life without live sports on the tele would be hard, but Netflix and Prime could get the job done for the most part. Hulu Plus Blows!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    ESPN, sectv, nbc sports, fox sports... Wherever there's a competition...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I cut the cable to limited basic (and hbo) after every football season. Don't watch much tv.
    I get 50 mbps and limited basic tv hbo for $77.

Once football hits its a premium package for $130 or so including internet.

Unblock us with Netflix is huge and.allows so many more movies and tv shows.
    Seattle, WA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Hulu plus and Netflix here. Disconnected our Direct TV about a year ago. Not a huge fan of Netflix, but I like Hulu. My wife watches the Netfix. I miss the sports and news, but it's for the best. I would lock into Fox News for hours, then get all pissed off over **** I can't control. Now I just hangout on the forum for more hours than I should, but it's better than news.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OH BOY...Comcast has their hooks in me bad! Not only does their cable deliver my TV, but also my high speed internet as well as my land line that I still want! Am I getting ripped for the 3 services at $151 a month I suppose so, but I do love knowing all those wires are underground as I have friends with outages due to power lines.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MaC122
    edited February 2015
    Options
    the only issue is that I love PBS and Frontline. So I bought an antenna and only one room gets PBS. Such a great channel. The other rooms don't get it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I did last summer.  Planned on going with a $50/mo internet provider, and OTA.
    For whatever reason, I can't get decent OTA in my location (TWO $150 antennas have proven that) so I eventually got Dish network, basic service too.  
    Still, $100 is a lot less than I was paying Komkrap, $220/mo, and I only kinda miss one cooking channel.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I have Directv with all of the premium channels, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I stream a lot on my laptop and I pad.

My wife just mentioned tonight that maybe we should drop the premium channels. Never!!!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hey_Bulldog
    Hey_Bulldog Posts: 55
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yea - we cut the cable about 2 years ago.  Wife and I have been really happy about it.  Our TV watching was mainly 'because it was there'.  Now that its not, we spend more time together (which is mostly a good thing), more time doing stuff around the house, and overall, we are happier people for it.  Oh - plus we have an extra $70 a month in our pocket - very handy for a couple with a new offspring in the house :)

As far as network TV for the few series' that we watch together and sports - I have an Apple TV so each network + ESPN, NFL, MLB, NBA, etc all have apps on the Apple TV.  I leverage my parents' and friends' cable subscriptions to get me access to those apps that I care about because you have to validate a cable subscription to watch.  Shady?  maybe.  But so are they and I was their customer for YEARS, so I will call this one even...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Its next on my agenda. Have a Roku, Roku stick, and chromecast on different TV's. Need to sit down one weekend and unhook the Dish Network boxes etc so I can take them back and cancel my service. I have Prime and Netflix, may sign up for Hulu Plus.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaC122
    Options
    well I have xfinity (Comcast) and their internet is the ****! I get 60 mbps and that covers everything in the house. Just don't want to pay the extra 200 for tv
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    High speed Internet $50/month includes basic cable. I miss watching MN Twins games on tv but I could go see 5+ games a month at Target Field for what I'd be paying to see them on TV. Just not worth $100+ a month for garbage and commercials. Netflix 75%, Hulu 5%, Discovery - History - TRU - Food Channel for background noise 20%.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MaC122 said:

well I have xfinity (Comcast) and their internet is the ****! I get 60 mbps and that covers everything in the house. Just don't want to pay the extra 200 for tv

I agree. I have Xfinity too and I love it! $46.55 after taxes for 105mbps down (I usually get 120) and 10mbps up. :D
  • caliking
    Options
    I forgot to add that I don't watch or follow  any sports, so the transition is not expected to hurt.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I dropped Dish for Google Fiber in KC and love it. I have the fastest Internet I have ever seen and HD TV for around $135 a month + tax. I could just get the high speed Internet for $70 a month, but I still have shows I like to watch. DVR everything even some sports stuff.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MaC122
    Options

so here is my reason...history channel and discovery have turned into crap. I remember when they would teach you about science. God knows what happened to the learning channel. I love the American hero channel and PBS. The food network is horrible now...wtf. America has gone to crap

• cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:

I forgot to add that I don't watch or follow  any sports, so the transition is not expected to hurt.

We can't be friends.

Unless you can give me free samples. :P
  • cazzy
    Options

I dropped Dish for Google Fiber in KC and love it. I have the fastest Internet I have ever seen and HD TV for around $135 a month + tax. I could just get the high speed Internet for $70 a month, but I still have shows I like to watch. DVR everything even some sports stuff.

Lucky bastard!! :D
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    No way we can completely cut the cord, but we are down to basic cable. My wife watches lots of reality shows, survivor, big brother, etc not the 16 and preggers stuff. We do not have Netflix although we used to. I am a movie buff and buy blu-rays because I prefer the higher quality soundtracks that they come with.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

High speed Internet $50/month includes basic cable. I miss watching MN Twins games on tv but I could go see 5+ games a month at Target Field for what I'd be paying to see them on TV. Just not worth $100+ a month for garbage and commercials. Netflix 75%, Hulu 5%, Discovery - History - TRU - Food Channel for background noise 20%.

Mlb tv is your friend. It's mass discounted too if you Wait a while.
    I just remembered you will need $5 month unblock us service for local games it works like a charm.
    Seattle, WA
  • MaC122
    Options

@Ladeback69 how fast is the google fiber?

• cazzy
    Options
    I'm not cutting cable, but with the addition of my new theater room, I'm cutting movie theater visits to zero. I am a theater junkie and routinely see every a and b rated movie released.

Its going to suck with huge releases, but the experience will be much better at home.
  • caliking
    Options
    cazzy said:

caliking said:

We can't be friends.

I can get you all the MiraLax and SurgiLube you want :D

• cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:

cazzy said:

caliking said:

We can't be friends.

I can get you all the MiraLax and SurgiLube you want :D

=))
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @SkinnyV ... MLB is not your friend. Did you know they have restrictions on your home team. If your a, oh say Twin fan, you can't watch home or away games. That goes for any team you like that is the same city as you. The on,y games you can watch are any teams but yours. That's a bunch of crap.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    Dish network gas a package that is $20 per month. It has most of the channels I like, except for espn. I switched to this and then decided to cancel after a few months. I called and they gave me $15 off per month for 6 months. And a free move package.

The moral is call them and complain about the price and they will reduce your bill.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • SkinnyV
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

@SkinnyV ... MLB is not your friend. Did you know they have restrictions on your home team. If your a, oh say Twin fan, you can't watch home or away games. That goes for any team you like that is the same city as you. The on,y games you can watch are any teams but yours. That's a bunch of crap.

See "unblock us" and mlb tv. It's a DNS service that masks your location. I watch local games no problem the ESPN Sunday night baseball game via mlb tv. I also get Netflix in all regions of the world, did I mention the movie offerings abroad blow away us netflix.
    The service is $5 a month, you punch in some DNS numbers on your device and done.
    Seattle, WA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    NFL Network addict here. Gotta have the sports networks, WFN, and outdoor channel. I wouldn't consider FOX news, total bias, I'm sorry.
    Dave - Austin, TX