Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max vs Small BGE...

Options
2»

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I can't speak against any of them, I have  large, a medium and a small. Probably wouldn't consider a mini or mini-max until my kids are out of the house which is a long time away.  My medium is my everyday, probably 3 times a week in the winter 4-5 times in the summer. The Large gets attention 2-3 times a month regardless and I'll admit the small doesn't get a lot of work at my place, but when it does, it is a spectacular performer. 

I'll admit I probably could do without the small, but once every three months it makes itself more then worth it. I can easily grab it throw it in the car and go. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Friends74
    Options

I had looked forward to the arrival of the Mini Max, thinking that it would be great cooker to take on camping trips and picnics.  Having examined one this weekend, I have no doubt that it's a great cooker.  But, to me, it's too heavy to be easily portable.

Don't get me wrong.  I've been an avid Egger for several years.  But, I'm going to pass on the Mini Max.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks like a full size pork butt you have in the one picture.  Nice!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm thinking you take the guts out of the mini max to ease the burden. I did find it cooled pretty fast from 400 degrees, in terms of being able to transport.
    Seattle, WA
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    I looked at the mini max, and the nice thing is the grate is almost at gasket level (aside from the carrying basket).  But i my opinion, the small just offers more flexibility.  Then again, I'm biased as i was able to get #23 of the EggCarten from a member.  
    Does the small fit in the MM container?

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My dealer hinted that the MM will completly replace the small in the near future. Anyone else hear anything along these lines?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I bought a Mini a year and a half ago, simply for portability.
    While it is great at that (I did get an Egg Carten), the 10 inch cooking grid just proved too small for my uses.
    Last winter I gave the mini to my older daughter and bought a KJ Jr.
    It really fills the bill.
    A bit lighter weight than the Mini Max, and the 13 inch cooking grid, plus a killer iron stand that elevates the ceramic well above any surface below.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    My dealer hinted that the MM will completly replace the small in the near future. Anyone else hear anything along these lines?
    I haven't actually heard it said, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case. From a business stand point it would make sense though. There is less ceramic in a MM as opposed to the small so it's probably cheaper to manufacture. It sales at a higher price than the small also. If they can sale less ceramic at a higher price, then yeah I could see the small going away. Sadly this usually the case with most things. Less for more. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone - may have an issue with the resurrection of any graveyard posts-but I do think there is cooking space for both the MM and SBGE.  The MM is a bit more portable but with the S you can load a whole lot more lump and run a low&slow for quite some time.  
    Looking at the market-I think the target market for the MM is the portability but I also think BGE corporate may have missed that target.  But I'm a SBGE owner with no intention of buying the MM-FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    No way the small is going away. I can't see that happening. There was that rumor going around but I thought it was cleared up and just a rumor
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    I have more questions about the viability of the mini. While i get its tiny, 10" is so small. Maybe that's the one to get cut.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    My dealer said he wasn't going to carry the small anymore. He said people buy more MM or L. But nothing about BGE not making them. 
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    My dealer said he wasn't going to carry the small anymore. He said people buy more MM or L. But nothing about BGE not making them. 
    My dealer does this same thing. He doesn't carry the medium or xlarge. He keeps a couple of larges, a few smalls and one or two mini maxes on hand. He doesn't even keep my favorite egg in stock. The mighty mini. He will order whatever you want, just doesn't keep them on hand. Not keeping a mini in stock really surprised me. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    RiverDoc said:
    My dealer does this same thing. He doesn't carry the medium or xlarge. He keeps a couple of larges, a few smalls and one or two mini maxes on hand. He doesn't even keep my favorite egg in stock. The mighty mini. He will order whatever you want, just doesn't keep them on hand. Not keeping a mini in stock really surprised me. 
    My dealer stocks all size eggs from Mini to XXL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I don't see that happening. Possible but, highly unlikely IMHO. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    That's what you call a great dealer. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    That's what you call a great dealer. 
    Yes he is. And they stock just about every other style of smoker as well as fire pits, deep fryers, and I could go on. I try not to stop by there more than I need to, last time I came out with a Carlisle food transport box. Who knows what might follow me home me next time...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a medium and feel it's pretty portable. My wife and I move it around when I take it places. I like the idea of having a second egg for sides so would there be any benefit of getting a mm over a second medium? Since it takes two to move the mm I was curious. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I enjoy  the same as @DMW- From the XXL to the MM to the mini- thus the ability to compare at least in the grid real estate I can afford. BTW- eggfest demo deals in August, regardless of BGE purchase size (even if not used for the fest).  All you southern IN and KY eggers give it a look-http://www.brownsborohardware.com/eggfest3/  no affiliation-FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have a Large & a small. The small is the same grid size as a MM and not to much trouble to take wherever I want. If you need grid size than go MM.  I am fighting with myself on a mini purchase.  I like the quick heat up and sear capability of the mini but I am havin a hard time justifying the money spent to achieve one more egg. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'd be very interested if those who have MMs would comment on this:  Very many people here insist that "raised" direct is better than direct.  It seems to me that the biggest difference between the Small and the MiniMax is that the grid is way closer to the coals in the MM -- in other words, it's the opposite of "raised."

It would seem to me that the MM would be better if, and only if it seemed more easily portable than the Small, but that the Small might actually cook better.  But I don't have either of them.  I have a Large and a Medium, and like someone else who posted above, I love the Medium, and cook on it the most.  I love the Large, too, and if I only had one it'd be the Large, but I cook the most on the Medium, and I love it.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I was just looking at the differences between the two and it looks like they have the same cooking circumference so my question is why get a small when you can get a mini max?  I know the mini max just came out so this may be a question for most people that already own a small. It came up after explaining to my wife why most of yall have two eggs in hopes to get a green light for a second and her response was, "that makes perfect sense. We should start looking into that." It was also her idea for me to get my first egg. I wanted to start with a less expensive stick burner, because i'm cheap. Not to brag but I married a good one.
    the MiniMax is cool beyond words,  I think a small would be good if you're doing long-term cooks (it can hold more fuel) but I've had my MiniMax hold up for 10 hours+ at 210 with a full load of RO lump.  Portability is the main advantage along with having the capacity to cook more than you could on a  mini.