Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep it going or let it die

Options
tkleager
tkleager Posts: 539
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
Many of you know that I run the Eggheads Everywhere Map that is up for everyone to see.  Currently we have 594 Eggheads "pinned" on the map.

This morning I got an email from Google, where the map is currently residing:
In an effort to provide world-class location content to consumers and businesses alike and to build on the strength of our infrastructure and capabilities, Google will end support for the Google Maps Engine (GME) product on January 29, 2016. After January 29, 2016, the product will be deactivated and no longer available for use. As an organization, we want to focus our efforts on delivering rich location content via our APIs, and enabling customers to take advantage of the capabilities provided by our Google Cloud Platform products.
This means that they will be taking down the Eggheads Everywhere Map.

My question is, should I spend the time to rebuild it?  I would be more than happy to recreate it at a new location, but I just need input to whether it is worth it to the members here and around the globe.
No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have never seen this before but it's really cool. I vote keep it going now that I know about it and I wanna be on there! :))
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    That's pretty cool. That is the first time I have seen it. Thanks for doing it and would love to see it grow.
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    I would like to see it kept going, question? How does one get put on there?
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I think it's really cool! Hopefully it stays. You've done an outstanding job on this =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    It's cool- would be nice if Egghead Forum had a link to it up top
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    If it was me, I would let it die.  I've looked at it and while it is kinda interesting, I don't use it for anything.  It's your thing, how much of your time does it consume?  Is it worth it to you to put forth the effort? is the question I think you should be asking yourself.  Either way, it's no skin off my back, so feel free to do whatever it is you want to do.  If it makes you Happy, that's what really counts in my book.  Life is too short to spend it being un-happy.

Happy Egging !!!!!
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Zmokin‌ has a good point. If you like to do it that's the most important thing. The time consumed doing it is a factor also (your time).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Zmokin @NPHuskerFL have hit the nail on the head.
  • tkleager
    Options
    Honestly I don't mind doing it, but if people don't utilize it, or think it helps them in any way, then I would just let it go.

@MadcapMagician, slip on over to http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166509/where-is-everyone/p1 and drop your zip code on there.  It usually takes me a day or so to get them on, if I keep it going.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm really surprised that google is killing that.  It's used all over the place.
    NOLA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I totally appreciate what you have done and check it about once a week.  Personally, I hope you keep it going...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I check it from time to time to see if pennsylvania makes into the wild card spot. I say keep doin it. This is rare forum to say the least. It reminds me of the BMW motorcycle club lol. Up to you but I vote yes
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I check it out but am really surprised at the lack of participation on it. If you don't mind doing it...please put it into the new format.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I had signed up years ago, but already knew that few others had across the country. If you love doing it then it's your time if you want to keep it going. Any other way to get more folks aware? BTW one thing it has helped me understand all these years is there are still no eggers...at least registered there...in Vermont. It and Maine are the only two states of the 50 which I haven't "heard" from shall I say!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I enjoy looking to see where PA comes in. If you enjoy doing it, I'll quote 'The Lorax' let it grow, let it grow. If it'so a pain, 'Let it die'.
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    If you enjoy it and it isn't too much work keep it going. It's nice to see where people are from and where they rank. Just like putting your location in your signature.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    I did not know about this. It was fun to look at. I did submit my zip. It would be great to keep if not too much work. Maybe find a way to make more people aware of it.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I think it is pretty interesting to look at.  Not something most people go to regularly, or use for some bigger purpose.  But like most, I could see myself looking at it a few times a year.  

Thanks for taking the time.
    Phoenix 
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    I check it out every time there is an update. I like to see where Virginia and New Jersey come in.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • tkleager
    Options
    Ok, so after looking at these responses and from elsewhere, I'm going to keep it going.  I think I was able to get most of the data to transfer over correctly to the new Google My Maps.  (Why the hell the couldn't just keep the Maps Engine going I have no clue instead of calling it My Maps....)

Need to do some work with it before we go live and see what happens.  Those that submitted to the map yesterday, I will get you added on as soon as we get it going live again.

Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • greenenvy
    Options
    I think it's cool and appreciate your efforts in maintaining it. If it ever gets to be too much trouble, you might consider asking an admin (is there one?) to incorporate it into the sign-up form as a *voluntary* option to disclose location and be on the map. Might be a cool feature for the site anyway.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Bump
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    tkleager said:
    Ok, so after looking at these responses and from elsewhere, I'm going to keep it going.  I think I was able to get most of the data to transfer over correctly to the new Google My Maps.  (Why the hell the couldn't just keep the Maps Engine going I have no clue instead of calling it My Maps....)

Need to do some work with it before we go live and see what happens.  Those that submitted to the map yesterday, I will get you added on as soon as we get it going live again.

Appreciate your efforts, TK!  
    Awhile back someone suggested everyone put their location in their signature line; I like that even more because, if I read an interesting post (a used Egg for sale, pork rectums on sale, or excess brisket very close by) I don't have to look up the map thread, I know right away if its close enough to act on.  
    Just a thought.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Well, ole TK hasn't been active since August....
  • rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    Options
    Never knew about this until now. Gonna have to start checking it (if you keep it going) and see if anyone checks in around me.
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • Givengold3
    Options
    Wow!  I'm on there, but no Smitty?  Now that I know about this, keep it up and let us know when you update this so that we can bookmark.
    Concord, CA
  • Cookstr
    Options
    Hello...Just joined this forum...and my first post...I think this is a fantastic idea to keep alive!
    02904 (to put on the new map) :)
    Kurt
    N. Providence, RI
    Large BGE since 2006
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like it.  Google likes to take away things after you get used to them and love them AND DEPEND ON THEM.  I miss Google Desktop Search.  :-(
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Well, ole TK hasn't been active since August....
    I noticed that too, hope he's well, just too busy to drop in here.
    canuckland