Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to give it a try

Options

Pork belly, yep 15 lbs.

Buckboard Bacon cure, yep.

Need to decide to use hickory, apple or orange wood for smoke.

I know you cure it for 7 days. 

Decide what the heck to do so I don't screw this up, yep!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looking forward to this. Thank you
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yum. Apple smoked pork belly
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by as always.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Hot smoke or cold? I've found it easier to skin after hot smoke. Also, save the skin for craklins. I used meatheads golden nugget recipe last time. I can did up the link if you're interested. They never made it into cornbread. Hell, between me and Mrs. Yolk they didn't make it 30 min.

also, it's much easier to slice after a partial freeze. With 15# hope you have a slicer.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Hot smoke or cold? I've found it easier to skin after hot smoke. Also, save the skin for craklins. I used meatheads golden nugget recipe last time. I can did up the link if you're interested. They never made it into cornbread. Hell, between me and Mrs. Yolk they didn't make it 30 min.

also, it's much easier to slice after a partial freeze. With 15# hope you have a slicer.

It was funny.  The butcher had these small pieces in the display and I'm thinking the whole piece can't be that big.  So I tell him just give me the whole piece.  15 lbs later.  Oh well if it turns out good I'll give some to family to try.  I'm so glad I bought a slicer a couple of years ago now.

If you have the link to crackling could you please send it?

I'll post the final product in a week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Here you go Dave. I hot smoked mine, then skinned and the. Went to boil step. Only thing I would do differently is less time on the egg the last time.