Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yet another meatloaf recipe

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,902
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
This recipe was gleaned from one made at a Texas Eggfest in 2004. Somebody named Bob submitted it on Greeneggers. I have made a few modifications myself over the years to our satisfaction. 

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound 80/20 ground chuck
½ pound ground pork
1 T canola oil
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup Panko bread crumbs – Parmesan herb style
1 T Worcestershire
3 cloves diced garlic
1 raw egg
1 tea ground black pepper
½ tea Kosher salt
½ tea Tabasco
¼ tea ground cumin
¼ cup beef stock

Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and sauté. As it simmers add the ground pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. Place this into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix and mix well with your hands by squeezing through your fingers. Then form your loaf and coat all 6 sides with a favorite rub such as Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. I use a wire basket meatloaf “pan” which allows smoke to reach it on all sides. I then lay 3 pieces of raw bacon on top, dust lightly with the CL rub again.

Set up your BGE to cook indirect by using the plate setter with legs up and grate on top. I also foil my PS to keep the grease from getting the PS too dirty. Shoot for a 330° dome temp and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Typically this will take about 90 minutes. BTW I prefer the taste of cherry wood chips as that smoke seems to “honor” this loaf!

ENJOY!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• AintEZbeingme
    Options
    you have settled my dilemna as to what to cook on the egg this weekend!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• RRP
    Options
    you have settled my dilemna as to what to cook on the egg this weekend!
    LOL - good! Trust me this is NOT your "Mother's meatloaf!" The loaf has substance to it but it will still need to have some support underneath in case you don't have a wire meatloaf basket.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That sounds really good Ron!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    That definately looks like a winner.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @RRP‌ making your meatloaf for dinner tonight.! I'm excited I've never made meatloaf on the egg.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • RRP
    Options
    I hope you like it as much as we do! Post pictures if you can.
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @RRP‌ I doubled the recipe to have lots of leftovers. image
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    The piece of bacon in the middle is for quality control tasting towards the end of the cook!!!
  • RRP
    Options
    Are you going to cook it in that foil? There may be a lot of hot grease to contend with at the end so be real careful! That's why I like that basket of mine as the grease drains out and doesn't stay in the meat.
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    No just for storing Until I put it on the egg. It's in the fridge now. I'm going to put the loaf directly on my cast iron grate and a drip pan with spaces on the plate setter. You think that will be alright Ron? I don't have a basket like yours!
  • RRP
    Options
    No just for storing Until I put it on the egg. It's in the fridge now. I'm going to put the loaf directly on my cast iron grate and a drip pan with spaces on the plate setter. You think that will be alright Ron? I don't have a basket like yours!

that will work fine!
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Just put this Pregnant football on the egg with cherry and one chunk of
    Pecan. image
  • RRP
    Options
    That will be good! BTW due to the ingredients you'll find it sticks together and when cold it slices nicely for meatloaf sandwiches or even for reheating. If reheating I have found the best way is to place the slices on top of green beans in a covered pan. By the time the beans are ready to eat the meatloaf has been sufficiently steam heated!
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @RRP‌ thank for all the advice! Can't wait to slice it up! I've been on the road for six days and looking forward to a egged meal!
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Just put a little homemade BBQ sauce in her. image
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    It's done! Let's go Ducksimage
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @RRP ... have you cooked this meatloaf in a CI loaf pan? 

We've been trying the missus' normal recipes in the egg.  The loaf pan does restrict the amount of meat exposed to smoke, but since it retains the fluids there isn't a need to cover with bacon.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    @RRP‌ , one can never have too many different meatloaf recipes. Thanks for posting. This looks like something to try.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP ... have you cooked this meatloaf in a CI loaf pan? 

We've been trying the missus' normal recipes in the egg.  The loaf pan does restrict the amount of meat exposed to smoke, but since it retains the fluids there isn't a need to cover with bacon.
    No I have not. In fact if you study the recipe there are both elements of substance gluing it together i.e. the raw egg and the bread crumbs but also the grease from the 80/20 chuck, plus the ground pork as well as the bacon on top. The wire basket allows the grease to flavor but run out so the loaf doesn't become soaked and swollen. The wire basket also allows the 360 surround of smoke. BTW the bacon strips? ...well those are extremely tasty for the chef to taste outside so he/she can regain his/her composure after eating some of them outside so when he/she comes back inside with said meatloaf he/she can act surprised when answering the obvious question of "What bacon???"
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My local dealer sells these.  These work well for cooks like meatloaf, goetta, etc.

http://frogmats.com/
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• StillSmoken
    Options
    @RRP‌ the meatloaf was fantastic. My plated shot was very fuzzy. I think it might of had something to do with the Tidos. image
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    It's done! Let's go Ducksimage

Looks great. And the meatloaf looks awesome. I see you might be under the weather with the O.J. V.8 spicy works wonders on a cold ;)
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    Can you get away without the bread crumbs?  I am wondering because I am cutting out carbs and was curious what the side effects would be?  Would the loaf fall apart?
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Both dairy and eggs can be used. Without binders, a meatloaf is a really big burger!!  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    Options
    ummgood said:
    Can you get away without the bread crumbs?  I am wondering because I am cutting out carbs and was curious what the side effects would be?  Would the loaf fall apart?
    It's only one half of a cup of crumbs, but if you have to cut then do since I believe the 1 egg will help "glue" it together.
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Ron, Love the recipe and can't wait to try it. Went to a few of my local Egg/supply places and none had ever heard of the basket, but acknowledged it was a great idea. Where did you get yours??

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• RRP
    Options
    TCT said:
    Ron, Love the recipe and can't wait to try it. Went to a few of my local Egg/supply places and none had ever heard of the basket, but acknowledged it was a great idea. Where did you get yours??

thanks! The brand I recall is Brinkman and I bought mine on the net from Hawgeyes in IA. I know I've seen it elswhere though.
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    TCT said:

thanks! The brand I recall is Brinkman and I bought mine on the net from Hawgeyes in IA. I know I've seen it elswhere though.

doesn't look like Hawgeyes carries it anymore, but go to Brinkmann and under outdoor accessories on page 3. It's $14.99. Let's see if Vanilla allows me to post a link to save you the effort! http://www.brinkmann.net/outdoor_cooking/grilling_accessories/outdoor_cooking_accessories.aspx
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    @RRP Thanks Ron!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Jellyworm
    Options
    Hey Guys, I was going to order a basket from Brinkmann plus a $6.99 Shish Kabob set until at check out the shipping was $17.99 to Houston, TX.  I bought the same Brinkmann basket on Amazon for $14.99 but the shipping was ony $6.00.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX