Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Stab at ribs!

Options

Comments

• deaner
    deaner Posts: 4
    Options
    oh btw I used John Henrys pig rub for seasoning and used apple wood chips.  I put a handful in at the beginning and another about 1/2 way through. Cheers!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Well, how'd they taste?
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    It takes me a good 5-6 hours to cook ribs at 275.  How were they?  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• deaner
    Options
    The ribs were great! For 8 people there were no leftovers.  Im already looking to accessorize the Egg!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 

With regard to accessorizing, you may want to consider the following:

After-market toys- As you are aware, with the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

That said, ask away here and you will likely get several different answers to your query and all of them will work. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 

With regard to accessorizing, you may want to consider the following:

After-market toys- As you are aware, with the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

That said, ask away here and you will likely get several different answers to your query and all of them will work. 

Nicely Put!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • deaner
    Options
    Thanks Lou and I will.  I just finished my first bag of lump charcoal so I will review what the store has to offer 1st and get back with ya.  I appreciate the offer!