Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Meatloaf!

Options
I wanted to do something a tad different, so thought of setting out to make one of my favorite meals in the BGE.  I'd preface all of this by saying you can make your favorite recipe and simply follow the simple cooking process for a different twist on flavor (and a reason to fire up the BGE).

Ingredients
1.  Meat - This was made with 2 pounds of 93% lean turkey
2.  Small onion chopped up
3.  Green Pepper (1/2 or so)
4.  2 Eggs
5.  Bread Crumbs (about a cup)
6.  1/2 cup Ketchup
7.  1/4 cup BBQ Sauce
8.  1/4 cup Milk 

Process
1.  Mix up all ingredients in a bowl with your hands until good and mixed, and put in a loaf-style pan of your choice (I have metal ones).
2.  I prepare my BGE for smoking (temp around 250-275 preferred - I've done 300-325 in a time crunch), and add a cpl fist-size wood chunks right before cooking.
3.  When it gets to about 140, I brush a little ketchup (could use BBQ sauce) on the outside.
4.  I smoke the Loaf (uncovered) until the internal temperature gets to 160, let it sit 10-20 minutes, slice/serve!

This is way simple, and adds a little different flavor to a classic comfort food.  While I've done this in a pan in the past, ongoing I plan to just set the loaf on the racks or a flat piece of foil (as I suspect directly on racks may get messy quick) so that the smoke can get to more surface area than the loaf when tight in a loaf pan.

Enjoy!

Comments