Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need opinions... Rib roast ruined?

D_Train
D_Train Posts: 47
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Bought a rib roast yesterday and put it into the beer fridge. I didn't realize it but the fridge was set too low and everything was defrosting. This morning the roast was up to 48F when I discovered it. Would you still serve it?

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    48 at the surface?  How about 1" in?

Depending on the answer, I might trim lightly all around and save the majority by making into steaks and freeze then someday cook Caveman style - right on the coals... and only for me.

But for a x-mas roast? I hate to say it, but I think I would get another one to serve to guests. Not worth the risk to me.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Is eat it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    D_Train said:  This morning the roast was up to 48F when I discovered it. Would you still serve it?
    Brother you are talking about beef, its perfectly fine. No harm no foul, now cook that bad boy!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The old "safe between 40F - 140F for four hours" is misleading. Pathogen growth rate varies widely by temperature, toping out around 110F. If its safe for 4 hours at 110, on average, there would be about as much pathogen growth after about 5 days at 50F. I'd most likely pitch something that had been at 50F that long, but for a few hours under 50F, there should be little hazard.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Imagine how warm it gets when it's in your car coming home from the grocery store.
    Dunedin, FL