Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder Petite Tender

Options
rtt121
rtt121 Posts: 653
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum

So a year or two ago a chef friend of mine gave me a cryovaced "frozen roast"

When I finally got around to thawing the roast I found it wasnt a roast at all but these filets.

Little Steven  that correctly identified what they were.  

It turns out this has become the best cut for me and anyone I serve it to.  If anyone is looking for something new and has a good butcher as the for the shoulder petite tender. The only only distributor I can find online is the same that mine comes in sterling silver premium meats.  I just re upped my supply and I will post some pics here soon.
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you can not locate them you can cut them yourself with relative ease. The petite tenders are cut from a beef shoulder clod. The clod its self contains many muscles but the Teres Major is very easy to spot. Being one of the 3 major heads, it's a simple matter to separate the Teres Major, Teres Minor and the Infraspinatus. No particular emphasis needs placed on the Latissimus Dorsi nor the Longissimus Dorsi. If they are partcially attached only the "shape" will be affected, not the taste as both Dorsi muscles are identical in taste and flavor to the Teres Major. I'm a huge fan of shoulder clod in general, but the Teres Major is real deal. Hope that you enjoy them my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    All 3 major heads are represented here in this unseparated beef clod. If you look carefully, you can see the natural seams separating the 3 major heads. Due to an error by the meat packers, the Dorsi is partially exposed in the cross seam. image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HawkeyeEgghead
    Options
    Sam's Club often carries this cut around the holidays here in Iowa. Agree it's a very nice cut with a little salt and pepper.