Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch direct or indirect??? (Pics)

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
I've done most of my spatchcock chickens raised direct at or near 400°. The last few have been indirect near the 400° range. My results with the indirect chickens have had notably crispier skin. Prep has been seasoned beneath skin and on top of skin. Nothing else added. Is this a fluke? I've tried several different methods from leaving 24 hours in the refrigerator to corn starch etc. etc. All other methods tried were cooked raised direct. Is there any forum members that cook their SC's both indirect and direct? What are your findings.

Below are pics of tonight's dinner. Spatchcock seasoned with BGE Simply Zensational. Cooked indirect at 400°ish grid temp. Sides- peaches(canned), Pasta with alfredo sauce, and mixed mushrooms sautéed in butter and seasoning.
imageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'll be following along cause I cannot get crispy skin. Yours looks good.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I have no evidence but I believe you. I would think that in an indirect cook at the grate level there is no radiating heat from the fire - only convective heat from air circulation and whatever radiates off of the dome. Same as at the the skin, which is higher and closer to the dome. It'd be interesting to have a probe near the skin on these cooks to see if indeed the temperature is relatively higher than the temperature at the grate on an indirect cook vs direct.

Just speculating.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Any idea if the cook times were comparable?
  • stemc33
    Options
    @legume, I think the indirect takes about 15 minutes longer. That could be due to size of birds so I'm not sure. Hopefully, @mickey or @NPHuskerFL‌ will chime in.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    judy mayberry has been saying this for some time now. I still haven't tried it though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have had good luck 400 raised direct on the smaller birds sat 12lb
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@legume, I think the indirect takes about 15 minutes longer. That could be due to size of birds so I'm not sure. Hopefully, @mickey or @NPHuskerFL‌ will chime in.

Bingo.
  • stemc33
    Options
    Thanks @blind99, @nolaegghead‌, and @carolina Q. Info makes sense to me. Now I'll just have to decide if I want the convenience of going raised direct or the hassle of setting up the plate setter and drip pan to get better skin. :-w :-?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That is one amazing looking bird. For the record I get extra crispy skin at raised direct.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Time and weight at 400?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• AUCE
    Options
    And cooked to what temp?

• stemc33
    Options
    @AUCE‌, it was a small 6lber. Egged at 400° for just over an hour. Pulled when the breast hit 160°-165°.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@AUCE‌, it was a small 6lber. Egged at 400° for just over an hour. Pulled when the breast hit 160°-165°.

Thx..lots of different opinions..

• stemc33
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Thx..lots of different opinions..

Thats the fun thing about the BGE. More options than a guy has time to try them all or appetite that can keep up. Well, that's for most of the people anyway, @SGH‌ not included.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    Options
    Its amazing. The versatility blows me away...this is going to be a very expensive hobby! Lol

• stemc33
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Its amazing. The versatility blows me away...this is going to be a very expensive hobby! Lol

Yes it is. Hanging around the forum doesn't help either. These guys will get your "Wanter" rolling at full speed and trick you into thinking yours wants are actually needs.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    Options
    My minds reel I g with what to try next...Thinking fresh smoked ham for xmas. Not sure.if skin on or off is the way to go.

• snakedriver
    Options
    AUCE said:

After nine months of egg ownership, I can wholeheartedly endorse the accuracy of the observation.

Jerry
    Northwest Georgia mountains
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    That is a great looking bird @stemc33! I normally do spatchcock raised direct at 400, but haven't done one recently. I did switch to indirect when I cook chicken wings though and I think they turn out much crispier than raised direct. Plus, I don't have to flip them at all. I will be doing a spatch chicken this weekend indirect around 400. If I can get it to look like that one above, I'd be satisfied!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks @fence0407‌, please post your results of your cook.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @AUCE ... If you come from a technical background where a product finished to two decimal points is sloppy work, you're going to have to be on meds to stay on the forum.

When I decided to cook a chicken I just knew there was a one-and-only-one best way to cook it.  Pulled out the BGE cookbook, another Kamako cookbook, and surfed this forum.  What I found was temps from 250 to 500 (a finish temp only); temps measured at the dome and grate; cooked direct, raised direct, and indirect; flipped, flipped several times, and left skin up for the total cook; brined and not brined; left whole with breast up, left whole with breast down and, spatchcocked (missed seeing splayed in a CI pan ... gotta try that); iced breast and not iced breast; ... oh heck, you get the picture.

After the nice guys in their white uniforms took my buckles-in-back jacket off, I realized how liberating the BGE is.  There is no secret recipe for the perfect cook.  Collect a few ideas from others and go with what seems interesting ... to you!  It's hard to totally screw it up ... at least that's my story so far ... give me some more practice and I might do something where the egg can't carry me.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I used to do spatch chicken direct but have recently switched to indirect. While the skin isn't all totally crispy it is way better than direct and I like not having to worry about the bottom not getting charred beyond recognition. BTW your chicken looks awesome.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I like to cook indirect for anything larger than a burger or a steak.  I think it cooks more evenly and is easier to not burn things.  I did some pork chops indirect the other night because I already had the plate setter in and didnt want to take it out.  They turned out great, but likely would have been better direct.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I geaux raised direct at 400*. No flip. I'm not concerned about achieving crispy skin. Flavorful and moist is my objective.
    Crispy skin is overrated.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I geaux raised direct at 400*. No flip. I'm not concerned about achieving crispy skin. Flavorful and moist is my objective. Crispy skin is overrated.
    Crispy skin is the best part of the bird.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sure fire way to get crispy skin.

Cook your chicken.

When done, if skin isn't crispy, remove skin from chicken, place skin in toaster oven for a few minutes, Voila, crispy skin.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options

TigerTony said:

I geaux raised direct at 400*. No flip. I'm not concerned about achieving crispy skin. Flavorful and moist is my objective.
    Crispy skin is overrated.

@Eggcelsior‌ -- then you really must love fried chicken.
    I understand the obsession with crispy skin. My wife and daughter are with you on that.
    It's just too difficult to achieve on the egg. IMO.
    I'll focus on flavor and moistness. ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I geaux raised direct at 400*. No flip. I'm not concerned about achieving crispy skin. Flavorful and moist is my objective. Crispy skin is overrated.
    I like crispy skin.  I also happen to like skin that isn't crispy.
    If getting crispy skin means overcooking the meat, then NO, it's not worth it.
    Soft moist flavorful skin is still good to eat in my book.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    TigerTony said:
    @Eggcelsior‌ -- then you really must love fried chicken. I understand the obsession with crispy skin. My wife and daughter are with you on that. It's just too difficult to achieve on the egg. IMO. I'll focus on flavor and moistness. ;)
    Yes, I love fried chicken. However, roasted chicken with crisp skin is one of the greatest meals there is. In fact, it is typically the dish most often used to "interview" cooks/chefs. I agree with @Zmokin that the meat should not be sacrificed for the skin crispness and that moist skin is good. However, getting crisp skin with moist meat is the hallmark of a "textbook" properly cooked chicken and my personal favorite. Obviously, you may feel otherwise and that works too. Personally, I have no issue getting crisp skin on the egg, but I go 425-450 indirect. Perfect every time. Give it a try! Allowing the chicken skin to dry for a few hours and/or using baking soda with your rub helps too.