Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New LG BGE

Options
Been following the forum for a while now and I'm ready to spring for a LG BGE.  The Black Friday Deal that ends today is free delivery and installation or $100 in accessories.  I'll be building a table to mount the BGE.  Is installation difficult?  Should I go for the delivery and installation or the $100 in accessories? 
LBGE St. Louis MO

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Lots of videos on YouTube and on the BGE site on putting together. As long as your slightly mechanically inclined you'll have no problem assembling. You should go for the 100$ in accessories. Welcome aboard the crazy train
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I vote for accessories as well. I can install myself for free but I can't make my own Platesetter or pizzas stone.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  +1 on the above from @grege345 on the accessories, although I wouldn't rush to spend it.  Use your BGE for a while and then settle on what you might need.  And here's a good ceramic cooking site-likely the answer to your question will be in there somewhere:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nealmgb
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  Accessories it is.  I will take the last suggestion and not rush to spend it.   
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Tired to edit the above with no success so below is some NEO (New Egg Owner) info that may be of benefit:

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/  Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

The above is more than enough to get you started. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard and have fun.  You will love the ride.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome to the madhouse. Relax and have fun.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome and congradulations on the egg.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Welcome, and    'Just Egg It'
    Sudbury, Ontario