Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch turkey

Options
So I keep reading that spatchcock turkey is the way to go for thanksgiving. Is the main advantage time?

Comments

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Time and consistency of cook - flattening the turkey has the same effect it does on chick (much easier to get the legs and wings done without drying out the breast).

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cbr0011 said:
    So I keep reading that spatchcock turkey is the way to go for thanksgiving. Is the main advantage time?

In my opinion yes. A properly cooked whole turkey is just as good as a properly cooked spatchcocked turkey. Some say that a spatchcocked cooks more even or "better" if you will. However I find that this is not the case. If you are pressed for time, spatchcocked can be a real life saver. However if time is not a issue, there is just something to be said about a golden brown whole turkey sitting on the holiday table. I recommend to learn to do both just in case. But the answer to your question is that if they are properly cooked they will yield almost identical results in taste and quality. I hope that this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like the fact that I can do the turkey in about one and a half hours my bird is done and good. Before I got my second large I would do the ham first and it would keep easier in a box and the turkey would come off just before dinner.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cbr0011
    Options

Great feedback, thank you.

One more questions, If I Spatchcock with it still have that great smoked flavor, even though it only on there for 90 minutes? I was going to go with half pecan and half cherry chips.