Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Ends - Pork Butt

Options
2»

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @Grillmagic I'm no expert. This was my 1st run. But next time I'll run the butt up to 175 or 180. It was a bit stiff at 165, even after another 2.5 hrs cubed in the pan. I noticed that when I first stuck the thermopen in it.
    It could have been the cut as well. 
    I'll do this again for sure.
    Go for it & have fun. I did. ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Thank You!!!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Durangler‌- Earlier you said you would run the butt higher before cubing. Just curious as to why or what you may have encountered. I have been making these for about 30 years and always attained perfect results cubing at 160. Your thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    They look awesome... Not a huge fan of pulled pork; I may simply by boneless and do them this way... The ones I made last night were great like steaks at about 175° when I pulled them to cube em. Thinking about just cutting a butt into steaks and cooking them that way
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @SGH They seemed a bit tough. I was thinking to run them up another 10 degrees may soften them up a bit. I wasn't expecting pulled pork tender, but not as firm as they turned out.
    Don't get me wrong, they were good none the less. Also, my cubes were closer to 1" rather than 3/4" as you suggest. That may have had an effect as well. :-?
    I'll be doing these again.

Thank you hapster. :)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ