Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trial Cook of Thanksgiving Turkey

Options
Trial cook of the Thanksgiving turkey tonight. 7.5 lbs bone-in breast with Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub. Cavity stuffed with onion and apple. 325 F indirect using plate setter for 3 hours until internal temperature of 160 F
Montgomery, OH
Large BGE

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me. Good job my friend. I'm fixing to start trial running a few myself. Just to knock the dust off and get the big unit dialed in. Again great job. The bird looks wonderful.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Papzi
    Papzi Posts: 39
    Options
    The turkey was excellent! Very juicy.  I will definitely repeat the cook.
    Montgomery, OH
    Large BGE
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You nailed that one, IMHO..
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it!  I'm doing me own trial run this weekend, and I'm sure to take notes from you.  Looks like a winner!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Going to do this one in a couple of weeks.  Thanks!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Great looking cooking job there.  Where abouts you from?
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • BigSal
    Options
    Papzi - what was your brine recipe?  Did you use smoke?  If so what wood flavor?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I use peach wood.....in-laws own an orchard.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Papzi
    Papzi Posts: 39
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I did not brine at all.  No smoke either.  Just rubbed the skin with a little EVOO and put Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub all over the outside and inside the cavity.  I then stuffed the cavity with a quartered apple and onion.
    Montgomery, OH
    Large BGE