Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Sort of) seared tuna

Options
I guess I've been missing a few things that remind me of California, good seafood being one of them.

I found some nice looking ahi steaks at Costco yesterday so decided to make seared tuna. This has long been a favorite around our house. I started by seasoning the steaks lightly with Butt Rub and then added an extra dose of black pepper.

Got the Egg up to searing temp (~650) and then damped it down a bit to get rid of the flames (shooting for nice, hot coals). In doing so the temp dropped down to about 450 or so, and I decided to go for it.

In the end the lower temp caused me to leave the fish on just a bit longer than I'd have liked in order to get some sear marks and carmelization. I say sort of seared because it probably should have been cooked faster and hotter. That would have been a true sear!

Made up some white rice in the cooker and some mushrooms sauteed in white wine and butter. These were REALLY good!

All in all this was a nice dinner, and I hope to come across some nice fish from time to time so we can revisit it. had a little tuna left over and that should make for a nice salad around lunch time tomorrow.

Cheers all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome brother. Simply awesome!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was just thinking about trying this tonight. Have some frozen steaks I forgot about and found them tonight. I was thinking about maybe doing in a CI skillet or just cranking it up and doing 30sec or so a side. Honestly, I almost rather just eat it cold, but it's not sushi grade. Not sure how much difference searing makes though. Looks like a great cook from here.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    I have not tried Butt Rub on Tuna, gonna have to remedy that this week I can see. Thanks!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks everybody, really appreciate the nice comments. I'm remembering now how much I've missed this forum!

@CincyTiki I was fairly light handed with the BR for tuna, otherwise it's a little overwhelming. That being said, I LOVE that stuff and put it on EVERYTHING (e.g. cashews, popcorn, fish, beef, pork, lamb, fungus, veggies).

Cheers all -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I haven't seared tuna I'm a long time, but I go 15-30 seconds a side, more of a courtesy searing. Haha