Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time ozark oak

Been using wicked weekend warrior for 4 years, went online to order a pallet and it said it won't be available until mid November. I've been happy with it. Figured it be a good time to try something else so I ordered ozark oak from firecraft it was $109. For 10 - 10lb bags, free shipping don't know if it was a good deal or not. I'll be doing first cook on it tomorrow

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    You will like it my friend. It is one of the very best available. When running Unit #1, it is my go to lump for 90 percent of my cooks.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Ozark is my go to lump. I have a bag of wicked good still waiting to try it. Rockwood is way overrated I think.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited October 2014
    I love OO, Ordered both Rockwood and OO from firecraft and IMO OO is the better lump... Fewer rocks and shards, quicker light.. Just my $0.02
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I will probably do that same deal. The cheapest I can buy OO is 16 bucks a bag.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Ozark is my go to lump. I have a bag of wicked good still waiting to try it. Rockwood is way overrated I think.
    Most, if not all, reviews find these two lumps to be equal.

I'd like to know how it's "way overrated". Personally, I have experienced small pieces in my RW bags but I attribute that to shipping and the fragile nature if lump charcoal.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Let the "purse swingin" commence...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

Can you buy it in metro Atlanta?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's ok
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I just did some wings it lit good no crazy smoke or smell all small equal size pieces. As always wing were the best
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    I like both the Ozark and Rockwood....
  • Cowboy blows OO and RW outta the water. You folks are nuts.

Little Rock, AR

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I wasn't super impressed with Rockwood but only cause the small piece size and lots of dust. It burned fine and was neutral though.
  • badinfluence

I'd like to know how it's "way overrated". Personally, I have experienced small pieces in my RW bags but I attribute that to shipping and the fragile nature if lump charcoal.

@Eggcelsior‌ it my opinion of rockwood and mine only is that it is overrated on the forum. I have found between Ozark oak and rockwood is Ozark oak does not spark as much as rockwood when lighting and also does not smoke as much as rockwood when lighting fresh lump.

this is from my personal experience and others might find that rockwood is a better lump but me personally i will stick with Ozark oak as my go to lump with rockwood as a backup if i can't get Ozark oak.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    I should have mentioned I don't read reviews as I personally try the product and make my own opinion.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

@Eggcelsior‌ it my opinion of rockwood and mine only is that it is overrated on the forum. I have found between Ozark oak and rockwood is Ozark oak does not spark as much as rockwood when lighting and also does not smoke as much as rockwood when lighting fresh lump. this is from my personal experience and others might find that rockwood is a better lump but me personally i will stick with Ozark oak as my go to lump with rockwood as a backup if i can't get Ozark oak.
    @badinfluence No problem. I was just curious as I have been very pleased with it along with the general consensus of this forum among others and review sites like naked whiz. For me, it lights quickly and has no appreciable smoking with lighting, unlike Royal Oak or WGWW which are the other 2 lumps I have tried. It does spark slightly(3-4 pops of sparks) with my MAPP torch but I have never had sparking with oil soaked paper towels or firestarters. 

I like it the most because I can get it for $0.75-0.80/lb which is only a bit more than I could get RO and I see an appreciable difference in the quality, relative to price. I did not see this with WGWW and I have yet to try OO. OO would be $1/lb for me so I don't know if the 25% increase in price is worth it, but I'm willing to try based on reviews.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    @Eggcelsior  I have used both RW and OO quite a bit.  Initially I thought they were both equal products.  My first 3 orders through Firecraft were 50/50 RW and OO.  However, this last order I only ordered OO.  I just find OO to be a bit ahead of RW.  I find OO sparks less, if at all.  The biggest advantage I have found though is OO produces less ash.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191

I agree. Shipping does a number on all lump brands, in my experience. As to RW vs OO vs BGE...I just don't see enough of a difference to stimulate me to buy anything other than the cheapest of the three.
  • badinfluence
    @Maccool‌ agreed. Seeing as where i live i order from firecraft anyways as i am stuck with bge brand or cowboy so not much of a choice locally.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I won't have any problem switching back and forth from oo to wicked weekend, they both ship quickly an wicked weekend I can get by pallet in ma, 45 min ride from ct. Plus there's a place on way back called the tilted kilt which has a good lunch with a great view. I guess the bottom line on lump is get what works for you if price is issue so be it, or if you can't get what you like in your area get it shipped.