Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - the sound of freedom

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035

Each October after our biggest trade show, my brother, cousin, and myself (partners in my family's 3rd generation business) take a couple of days off and head to the beach in NC to relax and set our goals for the coming year.

A traditional stop on the way is Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro. It is one of the last places still cooking Eastern style whole hogs over hardwood coals, and Wilbur Shirley still mans the serving line after all these years. It is located literally at the end of one of the runways of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base.

When we pulled in there was a group of 4 F-18 fighters doing touch and go landings. They were going around over and over practicing different approach angles and speeds. We just stood and watched in awe for at least 10 minutes, listening to the sound of freedom.

I was able to snap a photo with the American flag, the Wilbur's sign, and an F-18 all in the same shot. It was a stark reminder to me that freedom is not free. Thank you to all that have served so that I can be free in this incredible country.

imageimageimage
XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Jacksonville FL has the airshow this weekend with the Blue Angels and the sound of freedom rings here also. I was never in the military but appreciate the service of others that make this country the greatest in the world. Great pic getting all three in the same shot!
    Jacksonville FL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Awesome. Go USAF!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Go Navy!!! Blue Angels!!! NAS Jax Air Show like @Dobie‌ said is this weekend. When I was active duty I worked most of the Shows here in the States and some abroad.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Seymour has F-15s, I can't tell from that picture, but I think E models. It's been 6 years since I've worked on them.

F-18s are a Navy and Marine aircraft, AF doesn't have any in their fleet.

The real sound of freedom is an F-15 flying in full afterburner, not only is it a sound, it's a vibration in your chest haha.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Thanks for the correction, I thought they were the 2 seat F-18 but you are certainly correct.

My uncle is a retired Marine Colonel who flew the A-6 and then the F-18. When I was about 18 he took me on base and we spent about an hour in the A-6 simulator. I will never forget that as long as I live.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Reminds me of a story told by a tour guide in Beaufort many years ago. Barbara Streisand was in town filming a movie. Her handler called the NAS to complain that the 6am flights were disturbing her sleep. So the next morning the sign at the entrance of the base said "the sound of freedom"... And the flights began at 5am. Not sure if it's true, but I sure hope it is!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I recently saw a show on the Food channel on Wilburs ... oh how I'd love to go and eat there. Sadly I live way -------------> over on the west coast where their real bbq is hard to find.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Love Wilber's!! It is my understanding that, when Wilber Shirley dies, the store will no longer be allowed to cook with wood. Gonna have to buy a gasser. Something about air quality standards. Huh? In Goldsboro?!

Hope the story about Babs is true too. :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    The sound that will soon be making some ISIS bro's mess their pants.
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    I live about 10 miles from MCAS Beaufort bombing range and close enough to FT Stewart to hear gunfire regularly. Not the pop of a twenty-two, but a gun heard fifteen or so miles away. The bombers do not make booms, only Ft Stewart. Helicopters and sometimes transport planes fly overhead daily.
    I think here on the GA coast we are well protected.
    MCAS Beaufort in SC, Parris Island nearby in Port Royal, Ft Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield nearby in Ga. To the south is Kings Bay and across the St Johns is Mayport. I probably sleep better with the sound of freedom at my door step than in any city in the world.
    Thanks to those making those sounds.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• NervousDad
    Options
    The sound that will soon be making some ISIS bro's mess their pants.
    Sadly, it happens so fast and they don't even hear it coming :(
    Aurora,OH
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have been to Wilbur's 10 times at least and have never noticed it was near a runway. Really cool pic. Wilbur's is a good spot for sure.

I need to be more attentive to my surroundings.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

I have been to Wilbur's 10 times at least and have never noticed it was near a runway. Really cool pic. Wilbur's is a good spot for sure.

I need to be more attentive to my surroundings.

I've been to Wilber's twice. Didn't notice an AFB. Been to Seymour Johnson once (my 1969 physical for the Air Force). Didn't notice a Q joint (though Wilber's opened in 1962). Too bad... I could have been to Wilber's THREE times!

Dont vet there much. Goldsboro ain't exactly on the way to, well, anywhere.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    TTC said:

Thanks for the correction, I thought they were the 2 seat F-18 but you are certainly correct.

My uncle is a retired Marine Colonel who flew the A-6 and then the F-18. When I was about 18 he took me on base and we spent about an hour in the A-6 simulator. I will never forget that as long as I live.

Imagine how I felt in an incentive flight in an F-15 D model over Key West. It was awesome.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This reminds me of something I said to one of my friends last year.  I love the smell of cooking on the BGE - because it smells like freedom.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike