Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 100

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2014 in Forum List

Got an e-mail from the owner of Flame Boss last week and he said he had sent me the latest version of their pit controller to try out. He said, "You were the first person to write about Flame Boss. So, for old time's sake, I thought it would be nice to send you one of our new model, Flame Boss 100, to test." Just arrived yesterday so I haven't had a chance to try it out and not really sure when I will be able to as I'm working again this weekend and next weekend is my beer and diaper shower, but as soon as I do, I'll let ya know. And FYI I am in no way associated with Flame Boss nor am I getting paid or compensated in any way. Unless you count getting one free to try. I'll give you my honest and brutal opinions as I don't care what they or any other company think of me or what I say.

Unboxing (oh, just remembered, the outside of the box said DEMO, so not sure if this is the final version or just a demo to try out)

Out of the box you see that they went with that plastic clam shell packaging but this one was not that difficult to open. Didn't even require a knife.

Opening it up you find the normal suspects: a controller, power cord, fan, meat probe, pit probe, attachments for all size kamado cookers and some instructions. For those familiar with the Flame Boss, you'll notice that the controller has been reworked and there are two attachments. I'll have to see if it fits on my Mini. Maybe I'll go to a dealer and try it on all sizes, but for now I'll take their word. Looks like the probes have been changed as well, but no info on them. I'd really like to know how high they are rated. Looks like they took my advice about the meat probe and put something on the end The original version I got had poked through the packaging if you recall from my review.

Besides the new controller, it looks like the other major change is including a stand that can be mounted near your Egg. I like that addition. I'll screw it down to my table somewhere.

Fired up to see what the screen looks like. Looks just like the old one. Easy to read and understand what its doing, not so easy to see from far away.

The old unit next to my old Auber Instruments

I don't really have time to fire it up this weekend for a brisket or a butt, but maybe I'll try it on some ribs on Sunday. I know you really don't need a controller for ribs, but I'm anxious to see if it performs as well as the original. That's about all I got for now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• I look forward to your review.  However, what the heck is a "beer and diaper shower" ?  Those two things definitely do not mix in any universe I've belonged to. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Griffin
    LOL. A beer and diaper shower is thrown for the guy so he doesn't feel left out during the pregnanacy, usually by a brother or best friend. It can be anything from hanging out and cooking out, to going golfing, hunting, skydiving or any other thing guys like to do. Kinda like a last hoorah in a way. All the guys that come bring beer and diapers so that you the expecting father won't be required to go out and purchase said items for the first few months in the middle of the night. I helped throw one for a buddy of mine and we went to a  bar with one of those simulated golfing games since golfs his thing. You know the ones with the cameras and you actually swing a club and hit a ball that flies into the screen? Anyway, he had twins and didn't have to buy diapers for 9 months!! No idea what mine is going to be. My brother, cousin and a few friends are doing it. They told me to give them a list of people to invite, pick a date and that's all I need to know about it till the day it happens.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Boy or girl? Don't think you have said. My love to Stacie.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That's cool Griffin - first time I've heard of one of these.  I think I'd probably tell my friends to leave the diapers at the store and just bring more beer though.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Looking forward to your review .. I have the first generation FlameBoss and have been extremely happy with it.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Griffin

@Mickey - boy. Friday will be 31 weeks, still expecting around Christmas day if all goes well.

@JohnInCarolina but diapers are expensive. And most all the guys coming, I've been to their beer and diaper showers so it all comes around.

@fljoemon I've really liked my first generation one. Hope this one is as good. I'm real anxious to try it out.

Rowlett, Texas

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited October 2014
    Good for you only reason I looked at the flame boss was what you wrote about it.
    Look forward to the review.
    Oh and grats on the kiddo, my life has been a blur but so great these last 5 years, youngest is going on 3 so the baby days are long gone.
    Enjoy and soak it all in!
    Seattle, WA
  • I got one too. Can't wait to try it out!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Are they still using type K probrs with standard plugs?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa