Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Roast Suggestions

Options

I've been reading thru some great posts on a prime rib roast. When the meat is $10+ a lb, I figure I better ask a few questions before doing one. I'm going to try a 6-8 lb roast. My butcher has both bone in and boneless with a $1/ lb price difference. Does it make a difference other than price on either?

I keep seeing the Ted Reader's garlic paste as being good but I haven't found the recipe. Anyone care to share?

I'm planning on doing 250° until IT is 125-130° then pull and open the vents for 5 minutes and hopefully my egg will be at 450°+ and put back on to sear the outside. Is this step needed?

Thanks BG

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    edited October 2014
    Options

You are asking questions that are really just a matter of preference.

I prefer boneless and no sear, but I typically cook somewhere around 300 and feel like I get enough of a crust with my rub (olive oil, garlic, and Montreal Steak seasoning made into a paste) at that temperature that a sear is not needed. 

Also, the sear at that point can be a tricky situation as there will be some fat on the outside of your roast and depending on the temp and how close you are to the coals, the whole roast can catch fire.  I've done it once and other forum members have mentioned it as well.  If you can get it off the grill quickly enough it is not a disaster, but temp control is pretty nonexistent at that point. 

You will probably hear some other opinions - which is good.  I would suggest that whenever you get around to doing your second roast to do it differently from how you do this one just to see what you like best. 

And with regard to temperature, remember two things:

1) The lowest temperature in the center will be reflective of only a few slices of the roast.  I typically pull at 120 with no sear as I have a few that want their prime rib to be rare so they get their slices from the middle 1/3.  Then I have medium rare for about 1/2 of the people and the end slices are medium with a crust on one side. 

2) If you plan to sear it, take it off about 15 degrees shy of your target temp.  It will continue to warm up after you take it off and will warm some more during the sear. 

Most importantly, good luck and have fun.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

Here are a couple of good reads on prime rob cooks:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html 

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html 

And as noted by @Foghorn-mainly a matter of preference.  I run around 250*F on the dome and plan around 25 mins/lb for a 4-7 lb roast.  YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Used a recipe from Nibble Me This as a guide for THIS cook.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site