Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock on the Mini?

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Searched around and couldn't find much. Has anyone done a whole spatchcock on the mini? Left the keelbone in to keep it a little taller so it would fit. Going direct at 400 degrees with a few cherry chips for smoke. Used Everglades Fish & Chicken rub courtesy of @thetrim and the rub exchange. can't wait to see how it comes out!image
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Oh yeah!!! Keep the pics rolling and enjoy!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    4lb bird done in 40 minutes. So far so good. Bottom is a little darker than off the SBGE but I didn't have a way to raise the grid on this cook.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks good. ..I'll have to try that
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Everglades is without a doubt my new favorite spatchcock seasoning. Turned out great. Next time I'll take out the keelbone and find a way to make it fit. This was hands down the best chicken I've had in a long time.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @minniemoh‌
    Looks like a winner to me. I haven't done a whole chicken on the mini yet. But I have done some whole Cornish hens and whole quail. Just a tip. Because of the close proximity of the grid to the lump, I use the cast iron lump grate out of my large to create a semi indirect barrier on the mini. It has worked like a charm thus far. Just thought I would share. Again excellent looking grub my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Been there done that, gets an bit cramped in there. I enjoy the results on the large for this.

But it is fun
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    Like this.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Like this.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I have no idea why that double posted above. Seems to be happening quite regular as of late though.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yes I have and yours looks real good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @minniemoh‌ Nice work on this bird and I'm glad she came out great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95