Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally nailed smoked turkey breast

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
Until now, I haven't had a really good smoked turkey breast, and I know a few of you were in the same boat. This worked.

Half a breast brined, air dried for two hours, rubbed with a slurry of oil, sage and rosemary and a dry rub my SIL made. Smoked with hickory and cherry for 90 minutes at 300* grate until the breast registered 160. 

Fantastic.

Damn. Can't post the pic for some reason. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    What was your brine made up of? The problem I typically run into is that the outside of my meat has flavor but the inside is quite bland.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was going to say that looks like a winner to me. But since I can't see it I'm going to say that it sounds like a winner to me my friend. :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jlsm
    Options
    Finally figured out my photo problem: 

@rholt: I used a half cup of TABLE SALT without iodine to 2.5 quarts of water. I brined it for an full hour. Seemed like a lot of salt, but it did permeate the meat. 

I made broth with the bones and used it in a smoked turkey pot pie the next night. Unbelievably good, though I baked it in the oven. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great...love the color! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Now I can say it. Looks like a winner to me my friend. Good job =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Looks great!! I don't think I've done turkey since I got my egg over 5 years ago. Just before that, I remember doing a breast on my flower pot smoker. Likely my first ever. 220ish, soaked hickory chips, probably with oil, s&p and Herbes de Provence. I know it wasnt brined as i never brine anything. I remember thinking how great it was. For some reason, I've never done another. Thanks for the prod, time to try again. Maybe I'll use an egg this time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• uwing
    uwing Posts: 70
    Options
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    i am going to try the frozen solid breast on the egg i saw someone post and see how it comes out.
    Seattle, WA
  • longball5187
    Options
    This sounds and looks fantastic. I will be attempting my first breast on Saturday (in preparation for hosting our first Thanksgiving).

Just got my L Egg about 2 months ago and everything has turned out great. This will hopefully be the next piece of meat to fall in line with that trend.

Thanks, for posting!
    Proud owner of a L Egg

Smoking in Gilbert, Arizona
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    If you smoked something like this, how long would FTC keep it warm?
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Love the color and looks like skin was perfecto! Congrats on the great job!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Great color on that breast!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    i am going to try the frozen solid breast on the egg i saw someone post and see how it comes out.
    I think Nola does that...I need to find out more about this myself.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks Great, I got a large Turkey Breast in the fridge now waiting to hit my BGE later this week.  

I am surprised to hear so many of you use Hickory with Turkey?  I have found Hickory a little strong with Poultry so usually stick to Fruit Woods.  

Should I give the Hickory/Fruit combo a try on my Turkey later this week?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • jlsm
    Options
    I used mostly cherry (thus the dark color) but threw in a large chunk of hickory for the smoke. My other breasts were done with all cherry and they just didn't come out very smokey; 90 minutes isn't much time to absorb. 
  • jlsm
    edited November 2014
    Options