Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a milder wing sauce.

Options

I cooked wings for the first time on my egg last night and they turned out great. But the sauce I used was a little too hot for me, I used Franks Buffalo wing sauce. I cooked them indirect at 350 for a while, (forgot the time) till they were crispy. I liked the flavor but not the heat. Is there anything I can cut the sauce with that will cut the heat and not the flavor?

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Cut it with butter.
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would also suggest mixing the wing sauce with BBQ sauce. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Butter does a good job for me, you can use almost any oil or vinegar to "dilute" Franks.

I use Texas Pete's, it's a bit milder, all purpose hot sauce. Look at the label, and if the ingredients include something you already have in the cabinet, add some of that and shake if all you need is to dial back the heat a bit.

The level of capsaicin in the pepper gives us the heat and the remedy is milk based - that's why buffalo wings normally come with blue cheese dressing. If you want the pepper flavor without the heat, you can add whatever to your sauce recipe before you cook:
    Ranch dressing, plain yogurt, milk, etc... the more you add the more tame the sauce will get. 

It looks in the picture like you drenched them after they were cooked? Try marinating for two hours in Franks and a tblsp of sugar and salt each, throw the leftover marinade down the drain, cook indirect for a half hour at 350f over a drip pan. Then take everything out, remove the plate setter, open the vents and heat up to 500f (including the grate) and finish those babies off until they're dry and have grill marks on both sides, a minute per side. 

Don't drench them, just mix up some Franks and a dollop of yogurt, adjusting the yogurt for taste and brush them while still hot. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I think im gonna try cutting it with butter and ranch next time and see how that does.

Cleveland, TN.

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    While you are at it with with butter & ranch, toss in some parmesan powedered cheese too .. Awesome flavor!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Classic bar mix is 8 parts Franks Original, 4 parts butter, 1 part sugar. Some use 2 parts sugar in the mix making a very easy to remember 4:2:1 ratio and a touch sweeter. 
    Straight Franks can be a little intimidating to say the least. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I warm up about 1/4 cup honey and mix with the wing sauce. It cuts the heat and makes a sticky glaze.

Little Rock, AR

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try Cholula. ...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    Golden Blends Wing Slingin' Sauce
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • bo_mull
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I warm up about 1/4 cup honey and mix with the wing sauce. It cuts the heat and makes a sticky glaze.
    Thanks, That sounds good too. I might have to make up a few batches of different sauces to try.

Cleveland, TN.

• ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    Options
    I made a sauce last week, it tasted like a sweet hot chili sauce..

1cup louisianna licker sauce from quaker steak and lube
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup strawberry jam
    1tbs franks

I just brought it to a boil while stirring just to mix it up then let it simmer for a few.  It was good but the kids said it was still to hot.
  • GrillinSailor
    Options
    Texas Pete's EXTRA MILD wing sauce. This stuff is fantastic on wings, shrimp with garlic and grilled broccoli. Hard to find in stores - I'm going to have to reload by ordering online. I can't remember where I bought tithe first time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    edited October 2014
    Options
    usually cut franks redhot 50/50 with butter, i ddont like their wing sauce. the wings are supposed to be hot, to cool them down you dip in bluecheese dressing and eat celery on the side. also, it looks like you dumped the sauce on and served, try dumping the sauce on then dumping them back on the grill for a few minutes, i dump them on in a mound
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    One more vote for butter!
    NW IOWA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I add butter and honey to my wing sauce. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ Thanks for the honey tip! I always add honey to my bbq wings, but never thought of adding it to the red hot.
    NW IOWA
  • bo_mull
    Options
    I picked up this today, gonna try it this weekend.image

Cleveland, TN.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I'm gonna do some wings soon, thanks for the sauce tips all.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Cut with Ranch Dressing and its like a "Buffalo Ranch" sauce. Good stuff and one of my favorites from a local wing joint in my area.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Franks and Sweet Baby Rays is good as well.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bo_mull said:
    I picked up this today, gonna try it this weekend.image
    @bo_mull, I like doing regular Texas Pete with butter and honey.  Their regular wing sauce is great too.  

Ok, I really like all their products.... NC representing!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site