Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2014 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Dear Donnie (sorry don't know your forum handle),

Came in to work today and saw this sitting on my desk:

Super excited now ... Shipping is $32 ... I am like .. R U crazy .... Wow .. 

And then the goodies came out ....

I am like Wow ... never seen any of this before .. truly amazing ... already planning cooks in my mind that I am going to use each and every thing in here ... smashburger tonight with the Steak&Shake rub for sure ... maybe Wings next when when I come back from my business trip .. amazing sauces & rubs .. thank you soooo much Donnie!!!

And a Big Thanks to @cazzy for organizing this and major props to the OP who suggested this. Lets do this again next year .. this was a lot of fun!!!!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
     My elf told me mine should be here today as well. Cant wait to get home.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,491
    Options
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    fljoemon   Glad you like the package Brother !!!!  I could have got less expensive shipping, but I was running late for work.....and, I just didn't want to unpack/repack !!!!!

If you decide you would like more of anything, just let me know.

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• hondabbq
    Options
    @GeorgeS‌ Thank you for the wonderful package of goodies. I wished for some Luzianne tea and you accommodated. I don't even know where to start with so many kinds of rubs and sauces to use. Thank you.

It seems according to the note that DP stepped up and sent some items my way when he went to the store as well so thanks to them. I'll wear the DP toque with pride this winter.

One thing that you can make out in the pics is a bottle opener. George included an official bottle opener from the one and only Lawnranger. I have seen some if his work on the site. It will be a great addition to the bar. Gonna go and try it out when I'm making dinner tonight.

I'll do this over and over again.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I hope you like all all of it! The keychain bottle opener, pens, magnet and stretchy band came from Dizzy Pig the rest was all me. They are really good folks! That Pork Barrel sauce is awesome on pulled pork. To me it's an in between sauce. It's not really thick but not runny and has a great flavor without being overpowering. I had a lot of fun gathering things up for you. I'm definitely in again next time.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • hondabbq
    edited October 2014
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    I hope you like all all of it! The keychain bottle opener, pens, magnet and stretchy band came from Dizzy Pig the rest was all me. They are really good folks! That Pork Barrel sauce is awesome on pulled pork. To me it's an in between sauce. It's not really thick but not runny and has a great flavor without being overpowering. I had a lot of fun gathering things up for you. I'm definitely in again next time.

That pork barrel was on shark tank wasn't it? It was like Christmas morning. I have already brewed cup some tea and that is chilling as I type. I tried that tony chacheres seasoning. That will be phenomenal on some wings.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Awesome !!!can we do it again ???? I've never tried any of these and I've only heard of the Tasty Licks brand !!! 

Thanks Robb "chainsaw19" !!! Perfect selections !!!! 

Thanks to you to Cazzy for organizing !!!!! Great idea and a great job !!! 

Thanks again, Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• GeorgeS
    Options
    It was on Shark Tank. Glad you like everything! Enjoy it.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I received my package today and love it! Lots of new stuff I've never used before. But how do I find my secret Elf so I can thank them??
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited October 2014
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    I received my package today and love it! Lots of new stuff I've never used before. But how do I find my secret Elf so I can thank them??

I sent you a note VIA elfster, please read it! I had to tape that tub of rub up to make sure it didn't come open in transit! Please enjoy those sauces, they are all deliciously made in MI and high quality. Let me know what you think.

I love the fesslers sauce on wings, and basically anything fried. I use the rub as a base for chicken and then finish with whatever sauce is appropriate for the meal, it is a locally made all purpose tenderizing rub. " I put that Sh*T on everything!"

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @michigan_jason‌ that you so much! Can't wait to tey them out. Very different than what I can get locally, looks really fun.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Whoohoo! Package arrived today. Lots of sauces and a couple of rubs. This is great, I've never tried any of these. I want to send a thanks out to @tarheelmatt‌. I was in such awe looking at it all. It was so hard figuring out what to use first.
    Decided on butterflied pork chops with some of the Jim's Own Sauce. Marinated shortly in a zip lock bag placed in hot water while the egg was getting ready. Best pork chops I've ever had. Just the sauce, no other seasoning. I did use a little applewood for smoke.
    Unfortunately, some great stories have a little bad stuff in them. When I went out on to the porch, the package was ripped open, rattled with broken glass, and was wet. Attached to the package was a note from the USPS that read "WE CARE" in capital letters. It was an apology letter for damaging the package. I guess we're supposed to be happy that the USPS cares enough to apologize. As far as I know, the only damage was a jar of pickles unless something was lost from the box. Everything else in the box was in good condition. Once again, thank you @tarheelmatt‌.
    imageimageimageimage
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like a solid cook my friend. Sadly the "throwers" (disgruntled postal workers) abuse the packages they handle as a type of therapy. I hope their lives improve, but better our packages than their family.
    Looks like a solid cook my friend. Sadly the "throwers" (disgruntled postal workers) abuse the packages they handle as a type of therapy. I hope their lives improve, but better our packages than their family.
    My wife does enough package abuse for therapy around here, I don't need my mail carrier adding to the problem.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @stemc33 Great looking grub man!  

The vinegar sauce will be like your eastern NC style sauce.  Very loose but good to dress your bbq with when chopping (or pulling).  

I really do hate the pickles did not make it.  They were based off my families recipe handed down over time.  

I made a mistake of my own.  I made two trips to get stuff and put stuff in the pantry.  Looking in the pantry I found another rub that should have gone but was pushed back some in the pantry.  It was the Jim's Own Smokey rub to go along with the sauce.  I apologize for that.  I need a sticker to justify that I guess.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Whoohoo! Package arrived today. Lots of sauces and a couple of rubs. This is great, I've never tried any of these. I want to send a thanks out to @tarheelmatt‌. I was in such awe looking at it all. It was so hard figuring out what to use first.
    Decided on butterflied pork chops with some of the Jim's Own Sauce. Marinated shortly in a zip lock bag placed in hot water while the egg was getting ready. Best pork chops I've ever had. Just the sauce, no other seasoning. I did use a little applewood for smoke.
    Unfortunately, some great stories have a little bad stuff in them. When I went out on to the porch, the package was ripped open, rattled with broken glass, and was wet. Attached to the package was a note from the USPS that read "WE CARE" in capital letters. It was an apology letter for damaging the package. I guess we're supposed to be happy that the USPS cares enough to apologize. As far as I know, the only damage was a jar of pickles unless something was lost from the box. Everything else in the box was in good condition. Once again, thank you @tarheelmatt‌.

Love the Carolina Classic on just about everything.  I especially like it on veggies.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Whoever my secret Elf is from the great state of Wisconsin, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!
    Been up in Oregon for a week and came back to Texas to this great box full of northern sauces and spices along with peppers you can't get easily here in Texas. Thank you so much and I promise to fully enjoy each and every bite, one cook at a time!!! 

Thanks Cazzy for setting all this up!
    McKinney, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:

Whoever my secret Elf is from the great state of Wisconsin, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!

Been up in Oregon for a week and came back to Texas to this great box full of northern sauces and spices along with peppers you can't get easily here in Texas. Thank you so much and I promise to fully enjoy each and every bite, one cook at a time!!! 

Thanks Cazzy for setting all this up!
    Great job @Stoogie‌
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Got my package today. I can say WOW @cazzy‌ ! This is an amazing package of TEXAS! Sauces, rubs, jelly and more. Whataburger ketchup and spicy ketchup, Franklin's sauce, mole - just so much. I feel like I have ants in my pants trying to figure out what to try first. Thanks again Cazzy - I now have a kinda' big gay crush on you!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • cazzy
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So glad you liked it @Hibby‌

Sorry it took so long man...I really was miserably sick so it took longer than I hoped to get it off to you.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    No sorries. I can't fathom any way to complain about this :P
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Hello @biggreenpharmacistThank you very much for the outstanding selection of rubs & sauces! I really do appreciate the thought and time you put into my care package. Everything looks so good, I can't wait to try some of the rubs & sauces. I want to apologize for posting this so late, but I was away last weekend and swamped for the past week. Thanks again for everything.

Cazzy, thank you for putting this together, I had a great time and will definitely do it again.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @abpgwolf‌ Man I certainly hope you enjoy your package. Hopefully some of it is new to you and you will find a new "go to" rub or sauce. I use that strawberrys rub a LOT. Its a very good all purpose rub and mild enough my little guys don't find it too spicy. If you find that you really like something let me know and I'll see if I can't you more. Again hope you enjoy and another thanks to @cazzy for doing this and thanks for everybody who participated. Was a lot of fun.

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    Options
    If anyone still hasn't received their care package, please let me know.  
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ Details on the strawberry rub please. That sounds awesome!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ Details on the strawberry rub please. That sounds awesome!
    It's just named after Strawberry's BBq in Missouri.  Our local harp's and harvest foods carries it and it's just a good all around rub.  It doesn't really have strawberry flavoring or anything, I'm not sure where they got their name.   It's just a good inexpensive rub.  I use it kinda lot a lot of folks do Dizzy Dust or Bad Byrons Butt Rub. 

Little Rock, AR

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    @stemc33 Great looking grub man!  

The vinegar sauce will be like your eastern NC style sauce.  Very loose but good to dress your bbq with when chopping (or pulling).  

I really do hate the pickles did not make it.  They were based off my families recipe handed down over time.  

I made a mistake of my own.  I made two trips to get stuff and put stuff in the pantry.  Looking in the pantry I found another rub that should have gone but was pushed back some in the pantry.  It was the Jim's Own Smokey rub to go along with the sauce.  I apologize for that.  I need a sticker to justify that I guess.  
    This is funny. Had I sent a package, it would have had the majority of the same stuff. You can tell we live in the same region. Good choices. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Has anyone else NOT had their elf post what you sent? Spoke to my giftee 14 days ago to ensure he received the package. He confirmed he did, but still no post.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ I tryed the Strawberrys rub on some chicken breasts last night. The family & I loved it! Thanks again for a fantastic selection of rubs & sauces in the exchange package.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE