Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interesting weekend on the competition trail

Overall our team, Heavy P BBQ, scored well. Out of 54 teams at Riverfest we placed 2nd in chicken and 3rd overall. The evening activities from the local drunks leaving the concerts included stolen meats off pits, stolen cooler, stolen knives from the knife vendor and drunks starting fights. Saturday wasn't much better with us having a table tip over from the wind that had several key ingredients hit the round, the sewer for the main bathroom over flowing and worst of all my Gators lost. Oh yeah plus the guy who ran into the back of an ambulance on a motorcycle. This competition is always a blast and well run....some things are just unfortunate. Next up is Eggtoberfest and then cooking at The Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, TN.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Wow, sounds like a weird weekend for sure.

Congrats on JD, just getting the nod to be there is huge! Good luck!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW, the backyard is handled a little different there compared to the pros. If you are in the area stop by and see us.
  • Congratulations!! I was at the concert last night but didn't see any mischief, Sorry your eggsperience wasn't the best. And as for the smell it is that way every day. I always wondered why they built that facility on the sewer plant. Good Luck at Jack Daniels!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• All of the post concert activities were Friday night between 11:30 and 1AM Sat. Ken runs a top rated contest, I feel bad for those affected. I was just an observer  :-)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    At least the motorcycle gentlemen was trying to save work for the rescue crew. He sounds like a nice guy.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sounds like you hit it.... :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    congrats on your 3rd place finsh  
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • henapple said:
    Sounds like you hit it.... :D

Such is the importance of having and keeping to a timeline while cooking contests. Even when crap happens, you just keep to the plan and chug along. :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Most eggcellent.  Congrats on powering thru the distractions and the invitation to Lynchburg. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Are you sure you wern't in NOLA ?   :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Hello Gene,

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. 

Just another weekend out on the trail. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Congrats! I guess if you are riding a motorcycle and have a crash, hitting an ambulance is better than hitting a hearse or a dump truck?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Hello Gene,

Smitty, I've heard of shenanigans, but stealing brisket and butts of comp team smokers is worthy of an a$$ whipping!
  • Hello Gene,

Smitty, I've heard of shenanigans, but stealing brisket and butts of comp team smokers is worthy of an a$$ whipping!
    This is why I usually end staying awake all night, Some time just sleeping in the chair next to pit.  But, I really never get any rest at a competition
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Crimsongator‌
    Congratulations on the show. All the above reasons you named is why I don't compete any longer. Just can't deal with the side show shenanigans and tomfoolery any more. It's sad that the above nonsense has become the norm. I use to love it my friend. Again congratulations brother Crimson. Judging by your user name, I feel you may can appreciate this: image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH, things are generally very quiet and the competitions much smaller. When you add size and throw in concerts like a few events, the crowd from the public grows....and so does the misbehavior. The cooking community is very small and extremely helpful. For example, when my table turned over and I list a key baste, I had 3 teams right around me offer up ingredients that I did not have in order to recreate it. I've done the same before. It's a great community!