Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking salmon today

Options
Getting the small egg going. It is sockeye season here and I have had great success bringing home the meat. Will post some more pics as time goes on.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Fish isn't upside down. I keep forgetting how to hold the iPhone. :P
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Trying another way
    Large, small, and a mini
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Upside down,sideways...That looks awesome. 8-|
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @johnmitchell, thanks, old dog new tricks scenario. Going to try a different type of smoke, McIlhenny Tabasco chips. I am thinking it will be a stronger flavour. Just did one fish as an experiment. Time will tell..
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Pulled the PS and added some more chips and then the meat went on.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    On my list...did you brine?
    Seattle, WA
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @SkinnyV yes I did. Wet brine for about 30 hours and then let it sit on a rack in the fridge for close to 2 days. Then onto the egg.
    @SGH not sure I am in the same league as a person of your caliber, but I will do my best for ya.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    @smokesniffer‌
    Brother Sniffer you are certainly in my league. Your cooks are phenomenal.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SkinnyV

Here is the recipe if you want to give it try. 

2 cups Brown sugar 

1 cup Uniodized salt ( I used Kosher Salt)

1 cup Teriyaki sauce 

1 cup White wine 

1/2 cup Water 

1/2 cup Honey 

1/4 cup Garlic powder 

3 tbs Crushed black pepper 

2 tbs seasoning salt ( I used Lawrey’s)

Mix and Marinate fish in brine overnight- Rinse well in cold water. Let stand for a couple of hours, then smoke. 

This has worked well for me over the years. Works great for steelhead too! Good luck.

I do marinate it longer as well, and let it stand longer, if my schedule allows.

Good Luck 

Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Getting close to the finish line. Going to relax and enjoy the sunshine
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Well it's over. Placed fish on rack to cool.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks like a slam dunk to me. Great looking salmon. Enjoy!

Status- Standing by.

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SGH thank you, letting it cool now, took a little sample, tastes good, maybe just a touch to dry. Generally happy with the results. We are having company over for supper, will give them all a little piece to take home with them.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    Just curious what internal temp did you pull at?

Status- Standing by.

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SGH and thanks for the complements. I read about the brisket camp and so wishing you could put some on like that up in our neck of the woods, it would be a HUGE school of info. I would ask for y"all to post lots of pics for us to enjoy. Enjoy your weekend.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    @smokesniffer‌
    Where are you located. May try to make it happen in the future.

Status- Standing by.

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SGH pulled at 147. Egg was rolling along @ 210* Took about 4 hours. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    @smokesniffer‌
    Have you ever tried pulling it around 135 internal? The salmon will be very moist and still done due to carry over cooking. Give it a try sometime and see what you think. Again excellent looking salmon my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SGH thank you I will be doing some more hopefully within a couple of weeks and will try that IT. Flavour is nice, just a bit dry. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    Just for reference I pull salmon around 125 internal. It will be on the side of rare but this is how I prefer it. Very, very moist for sure. Some dislike rare fish. However it is delicious if you don't mind your fish a little rare.

Status- Standing by.

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SGH thanks, I know that at 125, the other half of the house hold would turn their nose up. But I will try something around the 130-135 range and see how that works out. Do you wet brine or dry brine?? Care to share a recipe??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    To be honest I don't brine salmon. Getting lazy in my older years. Because my wife likes it rare I can get away without brining. Come out very moist when pulled around 125.

Status- Standing by.