Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new user question!!

Options
My question is this, I see alot of pictures with the grills flush with the gaskets. I have the plate setter and my grill is still down in the pit. What accessory will bring my grill up higher? Alot of people are using abbreviations for this and that and I have no Idea what they are talking about!! LOL Havent seen anything that looks like what I need to accomplish this at the store I bought my eggfrom who is a dealer for the egg. Just curious, thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Welcome to the forums. Being kinda of new myself, I asked the same question. You can read a lot of what others have said here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170884/woo2-or-tiered-rack/p1

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Some use fire bricks to raise the grid. A lot of us have the AR (Adjustable Rig) or a woo from CGS. Check them out at www.ceramicgrillstore.com . Awesome products & awesome people. You may like the 2Tier Swing Rack at www.ceramicgrillworks.com . Also quality product & quality people.

Welcome! I'm glad you're here!
    Flint, Michigan
  • monte72
    Options
    Thanks! Time to surf the web!!
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!!! I use the Woo on my LBGE and it gets it up even with the felt line... It's about $45. The Adjustable rig or AR is a great item but much more expensive. I'm saving for that one.... Good luck and enjoy the forum for tips and pics... A lot of awesome folks and cooks.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    If your grill is in the pit with the plate setter in place something is wrong. Do you have a fire ring?

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use the Woo. It is the weapon of choice for going indirect with the plate setter. I also use it for all my raised direct cooks. It holds the full size cooking grid right at gasket level. Hard to beat for the price.imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You can make a homemade raised grid. Cheap and effective.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DaEggPirate
    Options
    I have and use all of the above...  Woo, fire bricks, and a homemade version that just uses stainless bolts/nuts/fender washers.  My two cents is that the Woo is a quality versatile product with many benefits, you cant go wrong...  My favorite convenience being the ability to easily lift the platesetter, cooking grid, and the food out of a hot cooker all at once.  But hey, if you need a right-now solution, head to Lowes and spend $20 bucks in the hardware aisle.
    Large BGE and Compact Table (both tornado survivors, thank god), Stoker WiFi
    Raleigh, NC

Does bourbon make the world go 'round?
  • monte72
    Options
    oh yeh, my bad on the discription (smoknpig) even with the fire ring and plate setter in both grills sit down a couple inches (kind of a **** to clean and flip food on the edges) Cast grill and the ss. the swing rack looks like a quality piece for sure......maybe a good christmas gift!! The woo2ci looks like a nice one and a little less costly. Would definitely make it easier to pull out the setter and such. Just when ya think you have all  the accessories needed someone comes up with another one !!!! L
  • Zarcon
    Options
    @monte72 - Are you using your plate setter with the legs pointing upwards? Thats how I use mine and puts my grid pretty even with the felt line. Makes it easier for putting a drip pan under the food as well.
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction! You will always find more toys to cook with. Can you post a pic? As stated above my grid sets a felt line when the plate setter is in. Good luck.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @monte72‌ ... I was where you are exactly one year ago. Amazing what I've learned by coming here nearly everyday. You'll pick up the 'lingo' soon enough.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Zarcon
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I agree with @SoCalTim. The more you visit, the more you will pick up.

AR - Adjustable Rig
    SWMBO - Your wife.. She Who Must Be Obeyed
    FWIW - For what it's worth
    IMO - In my opinion
    and.......
    @SGH - Some Guy Hungry (hahaha - You will see this one A LOT!)
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Zarcon‌ , you know what I wonder ... at one time this forum was brand new. Who were the first people here? I'm assuming this forum didn't come with instructions, so who discovered how to post pictures, not the small pictures but the larger ones? Who discovered how to get rid of the small pictures when you post the big ones . Who discovered how to make paragraphs when using an iPad? Who invented the lingo here? I'd really like to know!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Zarcon
    Options
    @SoCalTim - I think the people her just made it up as they went.. LMFAOAPIMP
    =))
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I guess in reality my grid still an inch or two lower than the felt with the plate setter. Maybe you are fine.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    My grid is at the felt line with the plate setter. Not all of our eggs are the same.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ringo7
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    I guess in reality my grid still an inch or two lower than the felt with the plate setter. Maybe you are fine.

Exactly how mine is. About an inch or two below the felt line with the plate setter. Also noticed when watching youtube vids about cooking on the large egg that my handle is twice as wide as the large egg model they were using. Just bought my large egg a month ago so I'm assuming its a newer model.?.
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Looking now at my LBGE (Large Big Green Egg), I'd have to agree.. mine is about 2 inches below the felt line too
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have an XL and the grid on the PS is about an 1" below the felt line. I have BGE raised grid, but it keeps braking. I like the looks of the Woo.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Zarcon‌ , you know what I wonder ... at one time this forum was brand new. Who were the first people here? I'm assuming this forum didn't come with instructions, so who discovered how to post pictures, not the small pictures but the larger ones? Who discovered how to get rid of the small pictures when you post the big ones . Who discovered how to make paragraphs when using an iPad? Who invented the lingo here? I'd really like to know!

You know what I wonder @SoCalTim‌... I wonder if your planning on changing your avatar when the Dodgers beat the Angels in the World Series? I wonder if the Angels will drop the LA in front of their name when the Dodgers beat the Angels? Hmmm..makes me wonder :D

Sorry @monte72‌, I know the above silliness doesn't help you with raising your grid. I just couldn't resist.
    FWIW, I use firebricks. I also made an extended grill from an old weber smokey joe grate and nuts/bolts. Hardly ever use the extended grate, but use the bricks all the time. One of these days I'll invest in something more stable. Probably after I dump some food in the fire. Until then, the bricks work great.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options

Regarding this forum-around three+ years ago the original egghead forum (privately maintained for the most part) was taken over by corporate BGE and that became this forum. So, initially those who migrated here from the original forum had figured out most of the tech stuff and the acronyms in use.  BTW-the "original forum" still exists and is now under the greeneggers.com name.

There are others who have much more history than offered above.  But that's the short version.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Regarding this forum-around three+ years ago the original egghead forum (privately maintained for the most part) was taken over by corporate BGE and that became this forum. So, initially those who migrated here from the original forum had figured out most of the tech stuff and the acronyms in use.  BTW-the "original forum" still exists and is now under the greeneggers.com name.

There are others who have much more history than offered above.  But that's the short version.

I just checked out greeneggers.com and it doesn't make a lot of since to me. Very confusing. I like this one better.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.