Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XXL

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Some pit builders are using the Rutland. My custom built vertical came with a Rutland rope gasket around both doors. They even shipped a Rutland repair kit with the smoker. Not trying to get in any argument. Just stating that some pit builders are indeed using the Rutland.imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    A round ceramic cooker is a bit different when it comes to particle flow- IMO. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,909
    Options
    To say BGE puts on  cheap felt gasket is simply unfare and not true.

Of all the different types of ceramic cookers now on the market, why doesn't any brand bother to put a great Rutland gasket on thier brand?  BGE, Grill Dome, Kamado Joe, Vision, Primo?  When it seems obvious that your product is better?  Maybe not safe?   

Be careful with your family's food. 

Smitty, Please be open minded and read TNW research links posted years ago which covered very authentic, plausible and Federal explanations over ALL of those gasket materials. He already covered all of those points and blew your arguments out of the water. Your final one that tries to add a last minute hooker for the yet non-believer is unfounded "fear" of what has been used for YEARS! Some people seem to confuse fiberglass with asbestos...but I don't. BTW I know I risk a come to Jesus threat from "Atlanta". I just hope the 1,350 gaskets I have sold over the last 12 years are still intact as I say they will be when properly applied and I hope that my service hasn't dented the profit side of too many dealers! I am "small tators" so tell Atlanta not to send any HellFire missiles to wipe me out. OK?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ron- go home, you're drunk.

Humor aside, what exactly did smitty have blown out of the water? He asked hypotheticals and the only thing he stated as fact IS true. No Kamado maker puts Rutland on as OE. If anything, your comment was blown out of the water, since BGE no longer "sports the cheapest felt gasket".

How about that deal?

LOL.
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm not drunk and I have been home all day. Have fun replacing your gaskets over the years and don't bother sending me a bill for all of them! LOL Good night...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    No worries good buddy. I was referencing an internet meme. Like I said, so far, I'm cool with my original gasket. If you recall, my dad has been through 2 so I acquired a Rutland from you to settle things. I don't care either way, I just know BGE changed the original so I pointed that out with humor.
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm so confused how did this turn like it did...
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    onedbguru said:

In that thing, you could do an indirect cook without a plate setter :) heat at the back meat at the front... 

I do that in my XL. Just did it tonight with veggies and steaks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I don't worry a bit, there's worse things in the food we eat.
    Why are 7 year old girls going through puberty?
    We are all in trouble, Rutland or not.
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Boy, this thread sure did turn ugly.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Sometimes they do. I often find myself scrolling back to the beginning of threads to try and understand what's going on. No different on this one.

Back on topic. I can't wait to see some YouTube videos of an XXL in action. Everything from dumping 50lbs of lump to watching the forklift set the plate setter in place.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    RRP said:
    To say BGE puts on  cheap felt gasket is simply unfare and not true.

Of all the different types of ceramic cookers now on the market, why doesn't any brand bother to put a great Rutland gasket on thier brand?  BGE, Grill Dome, Kamado Joe, Vision, Primo?  When it seems obvious that your product is better?  Maybe not safe?   

Be careful with your family's food. 

Smitty, Please be open minded and read TNW research links posted years ago which covered very authentic, plausible and Federal explanations over ALL of those gasket materials. He already covered all of those points and blew your arguments out of the water. Your final one that tries to add a last minute hooker for the yet non-believer is unfounded "fear" of what has been used for YEARS! Some people seem to confuse fiberglass with asbestos...but I don't. BTW I know I risk a come to Jesus threat from "Atlanta". I just hope the 1,350 gaskets I have sold over the last 12 years are still intact as I say they will be when properly applied and I hope that my service hasn't dented the profit side of too many dealers! I am "small tators" so tell Atlanta not to send any HellFire missiles to wipe me out. OK?

By this, do you suggest I am supposed to believe what the government says is good for my health?
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    My XL is about 18 months old. I use mine a lot too .... maybe 4 or 5 times a week. My original gasket is holding up great! I rarely exceed temps of 600 degrees though. I see no reason to. I have considered purchasing a replacement gasket just to keep on hand if the original goes bad on me but I'm probably going to try a Cotronics because @stlcharcoal‌ is in my backyard and I'm pretty sure that is what he sells. Does anybody know if there is a RISK with the Cotronics like there is with the Rutland? It's not worth it to me. Otherwise, I'd gladly replace with an original BGE gasket.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I'll also add that I have an XL that has gone through a few high temp pizza cooks along with all the others and has held up pretty well. Have no idea if/when the gaskets were changed from BGE.

My medium has followed the path of my XL and it's gasket is holding up well too.

It seems like Rutland makes a good product because I don't hear anyone who has purchased one, complain about it or the service they receive. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My XL is about 18 months old. I use mine a lot too .... maybe 4 or 5 times a week. My original gasket is holding up great! I rarely exceed temps of 600 degrees though. I see no reason to. I have considered purchasing a replacement gasket just to keep on hand if the original goes bad on me but I'm probably going to try a Cotronics because @stlcharcoal‌ is in my backyard and I'm pretty sure that is what he sells. Does anybody know if there is a RISK with the Cotronics like there is with the Rutland? It's not worth it to me. Otherwise, I'd gladly replace with an original BGE gasket.
    Forum won't let me post a link today...google "Naked Whiz cotronics" and he has a write up.  Cliff notes are the manufacturer does not make any statement that it is food safe, but they don't know of any issues either. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• badinfluence
    Options
    @rrp I have fired the XXL up 1 time so far. It was for a low and slow 250 dome temp. Pretty much like all eggs was easy to maintain the temp once stable. I put 20 lbs of lump in and it could take more to fill it.

As far as the platesetter it did take both the mrs and myself to put in as I'm guessing it's about 50 lbs by itself so not too heavy just the size makes it difficult for one person as I was afraid of breaking It.

This is by far my favorite egg as I still love my med. Eggs the best as its in ly the 3 of us well and the neighbor and his boys so 6. Would I buy it again? ABSOLUTELY! Would I pay 4700.00 for one? Hell no! That kind of money is better spent on a meat monster or jambo.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @rrp I have fired the XXL up 1 time so far. It was for a low and slow 250 dome temp. Pretty much like all eggs was easy to maintain the temp once stable. I put 20 lbs of lump in and it could take more to fill it. As far as the platesetter it did take both the mrs and myself to put in as I'm guessing it's about 50 lbs by itself so not too heavy just the size makes it difficult for one person as I was afraid of breaking It. This is by far my favorite egg as I still love my med. Eggs the best as its in ly the 3 of us well and the neighbor and his boys so 6. Would I buy it again? ABSOLUTELY! Would I pay 4700.00 for one? Hell no! That kind of money is better spent on a meat monster or jambo.

Thanks for the reply! I really do believe yours is the first XXL report of usage. BTW have you had any further contact with Rick that you bought that medium from in Peoria? Since that day he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth! Fireman or not surely he would have a day off! LOL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ , hey brother, if you haven't already I sure would love to see a picture of your XXL in action ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,556
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    blowing gaskets on blown gaskets  @-)
    canuckland