Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ivation Meat Thermometer

Options
Just purchased one of these (thanks for the heads up on the sale whoever you are) but I will more than likely only being using this for Boston Butts as I tend to do quite a few, especially during football season. Could someone give me just a quick rundown? I have read that people tend to run their probe through the back of the egg where the hinges are, i've seen people go in through the top, what method has proved to be the best? I have an AR with Oval plate setter so direct heat will not be an issue. Thanks
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Got one, love it. I used to wrap the probe wire with AF, until i discovered '
    Thermo-Tec 14002 1 1/2" X 15' Thermo-Shield Roll' on Amazon. I had slight trouble figuring the darn thing out, but once I did ... it was magic.

The on - off button takes a certain amount of pressure to turn on, but you'll get the hang of it. Mine doesn't always want to sync once turned on ... so I have to re-sync like every other time. No big deal.

Instructions included aren't the easiest to understand when setting hi and low temps, hit you- tube, it's all there.

Enjoy ~ Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @SoCalTim‌ thank you for posting that link. I bought that for my maverick a while back and then went to tell somebody what it was and I couldnt remember the name. You da man!!!

Little Rock, AR

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't get the probes wet or they will be shot...swmbo was being nice and washed mine one time...
    Austin, TX
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    What are the differences (if any) between this and the Maverick 733?

Are the probes a better build quality compared to the Maverick probes?

I am in the market for another wireless and am open to new ideas / Maverick alternatives..
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    nolan, I have no idea, I have just been wanting something like this for a while, someone posted a link so I went for it. I will say this, I cooked a 8.5 lb butt Saturday, set the TV out on the deck, played some horseshoes, drank a few beers and never once had to open the lid to check the internal temp of my meat, this device worked exactly as it should. For just using this one time, I would recommend the Ivation, I thought it was very easy to set up. My two cents.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The Ivation is a rebranded ET-732 I think. Looks like it has two probes, one for the pit (short) one for the food (long). Ideal use is big cuts of meat. When using a setter, put the legs at 12/8/4 positions, run the probe wire over the 8 or 4 position, I'd stay away from the rear - dome base friction will shorten the gasket life. 

If you press and hold mode - does it have a timer?

The 733 has higher temp probes that are universal, can be either food or pit - allows you to monitor two eggs if you want. No timer. Also has presets for many foods - makes it a bit easier to fine tune the temps. Both have alarms for out of range temps after the temp range has been established. The 733 flashes before the temp range has been established - hence no alarm yet. 

I suggest only for indirect cooks where the probe wires can be protected by the shadow of the setter. At grid level the temp will always be 30-50º lower than the dome thermo to start a cook - the temps will get closer as the dome heats. 

Great for catching temps as the egg heats up - start egg, throw in your set-up, open vents and set for desired target - when it alarms finalize settings. With an attention span of 30 seconds or less, I need something to remind me. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!