Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter Clean & Cook

Wrapped my truly skanky platesetter in foil and ran the Egg at 550 for two and half hours. Damn near ruined the kid next door's birthday, I had no idea that it would produce so much smoke. As it cooled to 375, put on a chicken and a piece of pea meal. Not sure how the PS is, I'm still waiting for it to cool all the way down. Must remember the smoke next time the neighbours have a noisy party, kind of like "sooting" with a diesel. The chicken was amazing, we'll try the bacon for breakfast.  

Also, there was a storm threatening so an unused beer glass was pressed into service as a cover for the Redi Chek. Worked well too, rained about 5 minutes before the chicken was done.

Ontario, Canada. XL BGE, Napoleon Gasser

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    What's the verdict?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • iPaddler
    iPaddler Posts: 14
    The aluminum foil method worked. Used a ball of foil to remove the ash that remained and ended up with a clean PS. However, I'm not sure that just putting the PS in feet down (dirty side to the flame) and running at 550 for a couple of hours wouldn't be just as effective.

The PS now has a sheet of foil over it to avoid the need for this again.
    Ontario, Canada. XL BGE, Napoleon Gasser
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,725
    @iPaddler...Still laughing about the kid next door party smoke out..Similar thing happened to me when I did a nuke burn out one Sunday afternoon.. I thought they were going to call "Greensboro's finest"..Dang that thing put out an impressive amount of smoke..
    :D
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Suppose we will all do this at one time or another. I have since gone to the drip pan lined with foil, easy clean up and no neighbour complaints when firing up the "spooge incinerator".
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!