Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken and Recipe

Options
jfine1
jfine1 Posts: 87
Grilled up a couple spatchcocked chickens for lunch today - guests were very happy with the results so thought I would post the recipe here. Like most of recipes, they are formulated from a study of existing recipes (mainly online) - I then meld a couple together and add a few personal touches:

1. Salt the chickens on both sides and rub in
2. Prepare a butter herb mixture to slather on the chicken - I combined some well chopped fresh sage, rosemary, chives, thyme and cilantro with some melted earth balance (a great dairy free butter substitute - I had a guest with dairy allergies, but this is also great for kosher guests who do not mix dairy and meat)
3. Rub the mixture on both sides and work under the breast skin
4. Leave chicken on a rimmed baking sheet, breast sides up, for about an hour
5. Prepare the BGE for an indirect cook (plate setter legs up). Once the dome temperature is up to about 400, place a water pan with 2 sliced lemons and a sliced onion on top, put the grill grate on top of the plate setter to heat through
6. After about 10 minutes, place the chickens, breast up on the grill above the drip pan and cook for an hour, regulating the temperature to around 375 degrees throughout
7. Check for doneness at 165 thigh / 180 breast, rest for 5 minutes, carve and serve! Pics below

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    Looks good. I used to use indirect most of the time, but now I find everyone likes a raised direct cook instead, usually about 400f. I start with the skin up for about 30 minutes, then flip once, cooking to temp. The meat is incredibly juicy and the skin turns out awesome. Any seasoning with salt seems to work!
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nice looking cook....recipe looks good.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    NakedWhiz says it's the opposite, 180 thigh and 160 breast.  I did my spatch yesterday, and it was mighty tasty, but I did breast to 160.  Seemed ok...
  • jfine1
    Options
    @SeahawksEGGHead‌ you're right
    I got the instructions above round the wrong way!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    This is another one that will be on first list of cooks when I get my egg this week. I can't wait
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Looks like the addition of liquid into the cook plus butter mix on the skin during makes the skin blonde and soft? My indirect cooks result in crispy skin but I keep things as dry as possible. Looks like covered oven baked chicken to me. I grew up on that cause Dad liked it that way.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jfine1
    Options
    Skin was good and crispy and a nice golden color for sure. The fat on the outside certainly helped this while I would agree the liquid in the pan kept the meat very succulent. One other thing is that by the time the cook was done, the liquid was all gone - so likely the last 10 mins of the cook turboed up the skin nicely